December 21, 2011 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Ethics reform for the D.C. council…New smart growth initiatives for D.C. and MD…Unemployment down in the region [News, 12.21.12]

ETHICS | The D.C. Council passed a (much needed) ethics bill yesterday that, among other provisions, will prevent felons from serving on the council, empower the council to impeach its own members, and allow the D.C. attorney general to prosecute elected officials. However, other amendments that would require candidates to disclose contributions from contractors and limit how constituent service accounts are spent failed to pass. (WaPo, 12/21)

AGING | Virginia Committee Seeks Changes To Assisted Living Laws (WAMU, 12/21) The changes would clarify how older adults receiving state benefits can augment their incomes without losing their benefits.

ARTS | The city-owned and struggling Lincoln Theatre will be showing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo starting today. (WAMU, 12/21) Weekend plans: check.

SMART GROWTH
– D.C. is launching a “live near your work” program at Gallaudet and American universities. The schools will both receive $60,000 to help employees purchase homes within a few miles of campus, and the universities will match the funds. (WAMU, 12/20)

– Maryland governor Martin O’Malley has issued an executive order to launch PlayMaryland, a new strategy to curb urban sprawl. The plan would require the state to preferentially fund smart growth projects. (WAMU, 12/21)

EMPLOYMENT | Regional jobless rates fall in November (WaPo, 12/20) The increase in employment is credited to private sector growth in the region, which has made up for the loss of government positions.

Related: The Post has a great photo slideshow of people from around the region, and the country, who have been affected by the recession.

Also related: We’re hiring! WRAG is looking for a creative and talented individual to serve as our new Manager of Membership and Development. The ideal candidate will be a quick thinker and a team player who will lead the organization’s efforts in member recruitment, retention, and involvement, as well as fundraising and grants management activities. [Full job description.]

With visitors in town this weekend, I will likely end up checking out the monuments for the hundredth time, which this video almost makes seem appealing.
-Rebekah