December 12, 2013 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Equity reports compare D.C. traditional and charter schools for the first time

– For the first time, D.C. education officials yesterday released “equity reports” with stats on every traditional public and charter school in the city, including metrics such as attendance rates, standardized test scores, demographics, suspensions, and other indicators. One of the insights from the reports is the high rate of “churn” – or student turnover – at schools in the lowest-income parts of the city. (WaPo, 12/12)

Related: Here is the full report.

COMMUNITY | At their annual meeting yesterday, the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments honored the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region with the 2013 Regional Partnership Award, commending the foundation for their work with the Urban Institute on housing, as well as their work with the city to set up The City Fund and the Navy Yard Relief Fund. (MWCOG, 12/11)

HOUSING | A group of developers, with backing from Citi, and in partnership with Enterprise Community Partners, is purchasing an apartment building in Southwest D.C. with the intention of keeping at least half of the units affordable to low- and middle-income renters. (WaPo, 12/11)

CSR | The National Conference on Citizenship, Points of Light, and Bloomberg recently released their annual list of the 50 most “community-minded” corporations, including WRAG members Bank of America, Capital One, Citi, and IBM. (NCOC, 12/5)

Related: Check out the new Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility. Registration for the inaugural class is now open.

VETERANS | Veterans who left the military with “bad paper,” or less-than-honorable discharges, are disqualified for VA benefits, even when the cause of their discharge is related to PTSD. These vets most often turn to nonprofit organizations for services that would otherwise come from the government.

The money quote from an expert (NPR, 12/11):

“In many of these cases, there’s a very good justification for giving bad paper,” he says. “But at a strategic level, the government has to take the long view and ask whether they want to deprive these people of support for their lifetime, and shift the burden of care from the immense and very capable resources of the VA to communities and nonprofits across the country who don’t have those resources. There’s a very, very large cost to society by giving bad paper.”

EQUITY | While bike-share systems are hugely popular in a number of cities, especially in D.C., ridership among low-income people is “pitifully low.” This is due in part to the location of bike stations, as well as the membership fees, which require a credit card. (NPR, 12/12)

TRANSIT | Silver Line Officials Take Pass On Guessing When Trains Will Roll (WAMU, 12/12) Sigh.

GIVING | A D.C. woman is raising money by crowdfunding to help an elderly neighbor with dementia who is in danger of losing his apartment. The story underscores the myriad challenges facing elderly residents. (WaPo, 12/12)

PHILANTHROPY | Three Pillars of Significant Impact (Arabella, 12/12)

If you want to see how far the Internet has come in the last fifteen or so years, check out this 90s-era website promoting Columbia Heights, which City Paper linked to this morning. Click on the ‘Voices’ tab for recorded interviews with neighborhood residents, which were apparently funded by a Meyer Foundation grant. A lot of the links are broken, but there is still come cool stuff on the site.

And here’s another cool history nugget, via the Ghosts of DC site: a panoramic photo of DC from 1905.

There won’t be a Daily tomorrow, but we’ll be back on Monday. Enjoy your weekend!

– Rebekah