January 17, 2014 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia releases new report on NoVA seniors

AGING | The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia has released A Portrait of our Aging Population in Northern Virginia, which looks at the issues impacting people over the age of 65 in northern Virginia. In conjunction with the release of the report, the foundation announced a $10,000 grant to support a transportation program for seniors.

The research found a number of eye-opening statistics about the demographics of the area:

• Between 2010 and 2030, the number of older individuals in Northern Virginia will increase from 192,589 to 429,300. At that time, over 15% of the region’s population will be 65 or older.
• More than 20,000 older Northern Virginians currently live in poverty, and 28% of older households can be considered economically insecure, and an additional 31% are financially vulnerable.
• The rate of older adults without health insurance in Northern Virginia is about three times higher than the national and Virginia rates.

– A new poll finds that most D.C. residents still think the city’s public schools aren’t doing too hot, with 51 percent of people rating schools as “not good” or “poor.” Notably, however, some of the highest ratings came from parents of students in public schools, who, one would suspect, would have good firsthand knowledge. (WaPo, 1/17)

Obamas praise dozens of new efforts to help needy students get into college (WaPo, 1/17)

WORKFORCE | GMU’s Stephen Fuller, in his annual forecast for the region’s economy, predicts that our economy will continue to grow and add jobs. But, the sectors with the most potential growth are those that are often low-paying, like hospitality. (WaPo, 1/17)

PHILANTHROPY | Charitable Deduction Probably Safe for 2014, Say Experts (Chronicle, 1/16)

ARTS | Fairfax will assume $30 million in debt owed by arts center at the old Lorton prison (WaPo, 1/14)

REGION | With Population Growing, Transportation Planners Say They Need To Keep Up (WAMU, 1/16)

I may be easily impressed, but I think this guy’s video tricks on Vine are kind of awesome.

– Rebekah