February 3, 2014 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

New agreement would put budget surplus toward housing

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | An agreement between the mayor and two members of the D.C. Council would put half of the city’s future budget surplus toward the Housing Production Trust Fund (CP, 1/31):

Elizabeth Falcon of the Coalition for Nonprofit Housing and Economic Development, who oversees the Housing for All campaign, concedes that today’s announcement probably won’t mean much of a boost for the Trust Fund in the 2013 or 2014 fiscal years. But in future years, she says, it’s likely to provide a stable funding source for the Trust Fund that could allow it to reach housing advocates’ funding goal of $100 million per year, including the city’s existing contribution of about half of that through deed transfer and recordation taxes.

HOMELESSNESS | A coalition of homeless advocates are calling on D.C. officials to expand programs, such as rapid re-housing, for homeless families. Part of their argument is that rapid re-housing and other services that help families stay in or find housing are much cheaper than putting families in motel rooms. (CP, 2/3)

– Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton is raising concerns that the proposal put forward by D.C. council member David Catania to provide college scholarships to low income D.C. students could put the federally-funded D.C. Tuition Assistant Grant program in jeopardy. (WaPo, 2/3)

With New Lottery, D.C. Helps Parents Navigate School Choices (WAMU, 1/31)

ENVIRONMENT | Op-ed: In his latest column, Robert McCartney highlights the debate around the gas industry’s push to begin fracking in the George Washington National Forest — the source of the Potomac River, which provides drinking water for the entire metropolitan area. (WaPo, 2/1)

Related: Back in December, Cecily Kihn of the Agua Fund, and the Hillsdale Fund’s Megan Gallagher, wrote a special post for the Daily about the potential impact of the fracking boom on the Greater Washington region. (Daily, 12/4)

HEALTHCARE | HealthCare.gov can’t handle appeals of enrollment errors (WaPo, 2/3)

Back in 2012 Felix Baumgartner broke a record that no one ever thought actually needed to be broken by jumping out of a balloon 24 miles above the ground. Well, here’s a new video of the jump from the perspective of cameras mounted to his helmet. It’s cool – but I wouldn’t watch it if you just ate lunch.

– Rebekah