March 20, 2014 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Nicky Goren named next Meyer Foundation president and CEO

Major news for the region’s philanthropic and nonprofit community this morning. The Meyer Foundation announced that Nicky Goren, current president of the Washington Area Women’s Foundation, has been appointed Meyer’s next president and CEO, effective July 1.

In a statement, Nicky said:

My time at Washington Area Women’s Foundation has helped me understand the significant challenges facing economically vulnerable families in our region and the organizations and systems that support them,” says Goren. “It has also convinced me of the vital role philanthropy can play in bringing together partners and collaborators across all sectors to create social change. I am honored to have been asked to lead an institution I have long admired, and am committed to maintaining Meyer’s leadership role in the community.

We at WRAG are thrilled by the appointment. Upon hearing the announcement, WRAG’s president Tamara Copeland said:

I was thrilled to learn that Nicky has been named to lead the Meyer Foundation. I have always been impressed by her commitment to the region and by her work on behalf of the economically disadvantaged. I look forward to continuing to work with Nicky as a member of the WRAG community.

Congratulations to Nicky and to the Meyer Foundation!

VETERANS
Unemployment among veterans has trended higher than the rate among civilians. Among the reasons for this are widely-held stereotypes about post-traumatic stress disorder, as well as the difficulty of translating military duties into marketable civilian skills (Marketplace, 3/20):

Companies love to hang yellow ribbons and run ads about supporting America’s veterans. But veterans say they aren’t always as quick to hire them because civilian managers don’t understand how to evaluate military experience.

“The hardest part for me when I first got out of the military was figuring out what to write on a resume,” says Marine veteran Michael Wersan, who served in Iraq as an infantry assaultman. “Nobody cares that I did 700 patrols in seven months. That doesn’t compute for a civilian.”

Related: Last year, WRAG members met with Emily King, an HR expert who focuses on military transitions. She talked about some of the challenges veterans face at new civilian jobs, and how philanthropy can best support returning veterans. (Daily, Sept. 2013)

– There seems to be a consensus that improving mental health services for veterans should be a major priority in Virginia, but there’s no agreement on how best to do that. (WAMU, 3/20)

City Paper profiles several veterans attending college in D.C., whose military experiences set them apart from typical college freshmen. (CP, 3/20)

Related for WRAG members: A group of funders have been meeting regularly at WRAG to look at issues facing veterans and military families in our region. The next meeting is coming up on March 31. More information is available here.

ARTS
– A study commissioned by the Maryland State Arts Council found that arts districts throughout the state drove significant economic benefits to their communities, by creating about 5,100 jobs. (WTOP, 3/20)

– A Fairfax County high school has received a grant from the Grammy Foundation to support a music program for students with emotional disabilities. (WaPo, 3/20)

Related event for funders: The next Arts & Humanities Working Group meeting for arts funders is on April 24.  The meeting will focus on the challenges and opportunities facing local arts nonprofits. More information available here.

PHILANTHROPY | David Rubinstein’s $7.5 million gift to support repairs to the Washington Monument may be part of a trend among major philanthropists to step in when government funding isn’t available. (Marketplace, 3/19)

Related: During last year’s government shutdown, Tamara wrote about why philanthropy cannot replace government. (Daily, Oct. 2013)

Review finds serious test-taking violations in four D.C. schools (WaPo, 3/20)

Parents, students praise D.C. TAG in effort to shore up congressional support (WaPo, 3/20)

– Here are the things that testing data can’t tell you about student achievement. (GGE, 3/19)

How long can you stare at an anomalous motion illusion before you fall out of your chair?

The (Almost) Daily WRAG will be back on Tuesday, which, rumor has it, could be a snow(y) day. On that note, happy Spring!

-Rebekah