March 27, 2014 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Thousands still trying to enroll in health insurance in Maryland

HEALTHCARE | Maryland health centers are thronged with people trying to enroll in health insurance before the March 31 deadline. Many people are being told to come back another day because the locations lack the capacity to meet demand (WaPo, 3/27):

Navigators at the center spend much of their time explaining the complicated basics of health insurance. Although the sign-up deadline is well publicized, there is confusion about nearly everything else. Several of those waiting for help Tuesday and Wednesday said they had no idea what sort of insurance they wanted, for example, or how much it might cost.

“We want them to make a very informed decision,” said [Lesly] Martinez, the program manager. “They’ve never had insurance before, so we have to explain: ‘What is a co-pay? What is a deductible?’ ”

The center sees a high number of immigrants, some of whom speak limited English. Although Maryland had hoped to launch a Spanish-language version of its exchange, that never happened.

WASHINGTON AIDS PARTNERSHIP | Today we’re celebrating Channing Wickham‘s 20th year leading the Washington AIDS Partnership. Twenty years is a major milestone, and a number of partners, supporters, and others who have been involved with the AIDS Partnership over the years shared their thoughts with us about Channing. (Daily, 3/27)

COMMUNITY | This morning WRAG member and partner organization, the Association of Small Foundations, pulled back the curtain on their new name and brand: Exponent Philanthropy. Congratulations!

Related: Foundation Group Expands to Reach More Donors (Chronicle, 3/27)

– Yesterday DCPS chancellor Kaya Henderson and Donald Graham, trustee of the Philip L. Graham Fund, were on “Andrea Mitchell Reports” to discuss the progress DCPS has made over the last few years. (MSNBC, 3/26)

– The traditional public Alice Deal Middle School, where students have a plethora of extra-curricular activities to choose from, and the charter school DC Prep, which focuses singly on academics, offer two different models for successful middle schools. (WAMU, 3/27)

– Charter school advocates rank Maryland among the worst states in the country in terms of laws favorable for charter schools. (WaPo, 3/23)

HOMELESSNESS | Coucilmembers Urge Gray to Continue Sheltering Homeless Families As Temperatures Rise (CP, 3/26)

LOCAL | Consultants: Columbia Pike streetcar would bring more money, growth than bus transit (WaPo, 3/26)

Ever wondered what it would be like to skydive off of a skyscraper? (Well, I have, at least.)

The (Almost) Daily WRAG will be back on Monday. Have a great weekend!

– Rebekah