April 21, 2014 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Career academies in Prince George’s County prepare students for the jobs of the future

– “Career academies” – high schools where students get hands-on, practical experience in fields that will prepare them for the workforce – are increasing in number throughout the region, particularly in Prince George’s County, which is getting $7 million in federal grants to support the programs. County officials consider the academies a success (WaPo, 4/21):

The academies, which began in Prince George’s three years ago, are considered an essential component of the county’s secondary school reform. In the past three years, the county has opened 36 career-focused academies, offering 12 career options to 3,400 students who participate in the specialty programs.

[…]

The district is expected to open 10 new programs in August, including a business and finance academy at Wise, environmental studies at Fairmont Heights, and graphic arts, media and communications at Bladensburg.

Lateefah Durant, a district academic officer, said the county has seen positive differences in behavior and academic achievement from students who participate: Academy students have an average of nearly three fewer absences than non-academy students and 40 percent fewer disciplinary referrals.

Prince George’s school board hires an executive director (WaPo, 4/21)

D.C. Special Education Advocates Optimistic About Extra Funds For Students (WAMU, 4/18)

HOMELESSNESS
– Here’s another run-down of the Gray administration’s push to get 500 homeless families into housing by expanding the Rapid Rehousing program. To date, the city has received offers for nearly 200 apartments from landlords. (WaPo, 4/18)

– A section of D.C. General that houses single homeless women has been deemed unfit for habitation. (DCist, 4/18)

ENVIRONMENT | No Easy Answer For Alexandria’s Sewage Dumping Problem (WAMU, 4/21)

WORKFORCE | Activists are working on a ballot initiative that would boost D.C.’s minimum wage to $12.50 an hour – a dollar higher than the uptick in the minimum wage that is set to go into effect in 2016. (WAMU, 4/21)

FOOD | These 11 graphics show how bad local food insecurity can be in America (WaPo, 4/18)

DEMOGRAPHICS | By 2040, DC’s population could be close to 900,000 (GGW, 4/17)

It’s hard to believe that no one thought the set up for this press conference was a terrible idea.

-Rebekah