April 30, 2014 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Virginia expands access to in-state tuition for undocumented students

– Virginia’s attorney general Mark Herring yesterday declared that undocumented immigrants in the state who were brought to the U.S. as children can pay in-state tuition at state universities. The change is effective immediately and applies to over 8,000 young people in the state
(WaPo, 4/29):

Announced in Spanish, Hindi, Vietnamese and Korean in addition to English, Herring’s move built upon President Obama’s decision to allow thousands of young illegal immigrants to remain in the country. Virginia students who are lawfully present in the United States as a result of Obama’s effort, which is known as the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, qualify for in-state tuition as long as they meet the state’s residency requirements, Herring said.

[…]

For affected students, securing an in-state discount would remove a financial hurdle that is insurmountable for many moderate-income families. At the University of Virginia, undergraduate tuition and fees in the coming school year for Virginia residents will total $12,998. For those from out of state, the charge will be $42,184.

– The CityBridge Foundation, together with a coalition of other funders including Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, have announced $100,000 grants to six groups in D.C. to implement a variety of “transformative” strategies to improve educational outcomes for low-income students. The grantees are two traditional public schools, a charter school, and groups planning to open charters. (WaPo, 4/29)

– As D.C. school officials get input on proposed school boundary changes, they are finding that voices in some parts of the city are louder than in others. (WAMU, 4/29)

Newest Fairfax schools budget includes cuts, salary raises (WaPo, 4/29)

Turning around a failing DCPS school isn’t impossible, but you need the right principal (GGE, 4/29)

VETERANS |  The Council on Foundations has announced the Philanthropy-Joining Forces Pledge, as a number of foundations from around the country join the White House’s initiative to increase support to veterans and military families over the next five years. (COF, 4/29)

Related: This is an issue that several WRAG members are interested in, and the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia is one of the foundations participating in the pledge, committing $100,000 over the next five years to veterans in northern Virginia. (CF NOVA, 4/30

COMMUNITY WEALTH BUILDING | The Community Wealth Building Initiative is making progress as it gets the first worker-owned business off the ground. Jason Washington from City First Enterprises and Tamara Copeland explain how the initiative is identifying potential employee-owners. (Daily, 4/30)

HEALTH | HealthWorks for Northern Virginia, a community health center that serves 10,000 low-income people in the western part of Northern Virginia, is in danger of going out of business because of financial problems. (WaPo, 4/28)

WORKFORCE | D.C. jobless rate increases slightly to 4.9 percent (WaPo, 4/29)

MENTAL HEALTH | Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe signed a bill on Monday to begin reforms to the state’s mental health system. (WaPo, 4/28)

TRANSIT | Project Leaders Assure Riders Silver Line Will Be Safe (WAMU, 4/29) Well, that’s good!

Celebrate the last day of National Poetry Month by creating your own blackout poetry. But be careful, it’s kind of addictive.

– Rebekah