May 15, 2014 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Jennifer Lockwood-Shabat named president of the Washington Area Women’s Foundation

COMMUNITY | The Washington Area Women’s Foundation has announced that Jennifer Lockwood-Shabat has been named president of the foundation. Prior to serving as interim president, Jennifer was the foundation’s vice president. In a message to the community, Carolyn Berkowitz, chair of the board, says:

Jennifer sees great potential for The Women’s Foundation to build on its impactful work by creating a platform to amplify the voices of women and girls. She sees opportunity to leverage the organization’s leadership, and an environment in which women’s issues are top-of-mind, to bring to life common threads of issues impacting women and girls here, across the country and even around the world. She believes that by raising our collective voice, we can ignite a ripple effect of support.

WRAG’s president Tamara Copeland says,

I am thrilled to learn that Jennifer has been appointed president of The Women’s Foundation. She has been a leader on issues related to the economic security of women and girls in our region, and I look forward to continuing to work with her in her new position. Congratulations, Jennifer!

HOMELESSNESS | While most surrounding jurisdictions (as well as the country as a whole) saw a decline in homelessness last year, D.C.’s homeless population increased by 13 percent, according to the Metropolitan Washington Council of Government’s annual point-in-time count. One of the primary reasons? The shortage of affordable housing (WaPo, 5/14):

The District’s rise in homelessness is the flip side of its economic success. Its population has grown by more than 30,000 since the turn of the millennium, and the city is in the midst of a housing boom of apartments geared to the young and more affluent. And that has depleted the stock of low-rent housing for the poor and near-poor.

[…]

The report says that many homeless people have jobs but don’t earn enough to afford the region’s rents. According to the report, one in five homeless single adults is employed, as is one in three of the homeless adults in families with children.

HOUSING | Not to over-do the doom and gloom on the housing front, but here’s a not particularly optimistic look at the massive decline in HUD funding for public housing and the impact of that on D.C.’s deteriorating public housing stock. (Atlantic, 5/14)

SIBS | The District announced yesterday that it is moving forward with creating a social impact bond program focused on the issue of teen pregnancy prevention and improved educational outcomes for high school-aged youth. The intermediary organization, Social Finance, has issued a Request for Qualifications for organizations and programs working on the issue. (CP, 5/14)

Related: WRAG member CEOs met with the executive director of the Gund Foundation earlier this year to hear about their experience working on a social impact bond initiative in Ohio. Tamara wrote up a bit of a primer on what, exactly, a social impact bond actually is. (Daily, 4/2)

YOUTH | The Foundation Center and the Open Society Foundations just released a new report taking stock of various cross-sector efforts to address the issue of black male achievement. The report offers recommendations on how to strengthen the field, which is rapidly growing, with momentum following the launch of the White House’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative. (BMA Funders, 5/13)

– The D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute released an issue brief looking at the negative impact of poverty on student achievement. (DCFPI, 5/13)

Fairfax considers changes to school discipline policies (WaPo, 5/13)

ENVIRONMENT | Green roofs could be the answer to clean D.C.’s rivers (WTOP, 5/14)

Oh thank goodness an expert has given this some thought.

– Rebekah