May 16, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Gray administration cuts $15 million nonprofit grant fund from 2015 budget

Earlier this week, Mayor Vincent Gray announced that he had cut the $15 million allotment to the City Fund, the fund first created in this year’s budget to support D.C. nonprofits, from his FY2015 budget. (WBJ, 5/12)

The City Fund is administered by the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region. We reached out to Terri Freeman, head of the Community Foundation, to comment on the change.

Said Terri,

“It’s clear from the overwhelming response we had for the first round of grants from the City Fund that there is a need for additional resources to support the work of nonprofits in the community.  With the spend-down of several local foundations over the next year or two we know the need will only increase.  The issue of continued funding for nonprofit organizations will only grow.

HOUSING
– The D.C. Housing Authority plans to tackle the more than 72, 000 names on their housing assistance waiting list.  After closing the list just over a year ago, the Housing Authority will devote the next 100 days to contacting families on the list to check for eligibility and interest (CP, 5/15):

People on the waiting list are asked to respond by mail, by phone, online, or at one of 12 public kiosks. Anyone who verifies his or her interest and eligibility will be listed as active; anyone who hasn’t after 100 days will be deemed inactive. People on the list who have been in contact with the Housing Authority in the past year, totaling more than 11,500 households, are automatically considered active. That leaves just more than 60,000 households to be verified.

“Our goal in reengineering is simple: to make the list easier to manage for the agency so that we may set realistic expectations for our clients as to how long it will take to get housed,” Housing Authority Executive Director Adrianne Todman said in a statement.

Opinion: Amid reports that D.C.’s homeless population has grown 13 percent from last year, how can the crisis truly be solved? (WaPo, 5/15)

EDUCATION │Working to eliminate the “school-to-prison pipeline,” a principal in D.C. has implemented some effective methods to serve students.  Will other schools in D.C. – and the region – take note? (DCist, 5/15)

– Sure, high school truancy is a prevalent issue that needs to be solved, but according to a recent study by DC Action for Children, 1 in 5 D.C. preschoolers had more than 10 unexcused absences last year. (GGE, 5/15)

FOOD │As Park Service Culls Deer in Washington, It Helps Charities Fill Bellies (NYT, 5/14)

TRANSIT │If funding permits it, Marylanders and Virginians may soon see improved commutes as MARC and VRE contemplate joining forces to extend service. (WBJ, 5/16)

I’ll be putting this app to the test today.
-Ciara