May 19, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Fifty years after Great Society

REGION
Fifty years ago this week, President Lyndon B. Johnson launched the Great Society initiative aimed at putting an end to discrimination and creating greater opportunities for African Americans. In one particular county – Prince George’s – the impact of the legislation is still evident today as the once majority white county is now the wealthiest black county in the nation.  But how far have we really come? (WaPo, 5/19)

“For all of the county’s successes, it remains the least-prosperous county in the Washington suburbs. Its student test scores and housing values are lower, and its crime and poverty rates are higher. Also, the county – where African Americans make up two-thirds of the populations – remains largely segregated, with relatively few non-blacks choosing to move in, a pattern that lowers demand and holds housing prices down.”

– Federal Judge Strikes down D.C. Budget Autonomy Law, Says Only Congress Can Act (WaPo, 5/19)

– Of course we already knew that D.C.’s population during the day swells to over a million, putting it just behind New York in percentage of daily commuters, but take a look at how other areas in the region stack up. (GGW, 5/16)

After years of stalemate, D.C. Public Schools and the Council of School Officers has finally reached a tentative agreement that would span four years and offer a three percent annual raise for many of the union’s members – composed of principals, assistant principals, business managers, master educators and non-teachers employed at schools. (WaPo, 5/18)

– Ahead of the new requirements for public school lunches set to roll out in July, attempts to take federal government intervention out of cafeterias are being debated in D.C.  (WAMU, 5/19)

FOOD │ American University and WAMU launched a multimedia collaboration exploring hunger in the region.  You can read stories and watch videos about those facing hunger in the community and what’s being done to solve it here.

– Opinion What Farm-to-Table Got Wrong (NYT, 5/17)

TRANSIT │As most major transportation projects tend to come in far over budget (we’re looking at you, Arlington’s Columbia Pike streetcar line) many are beginning to wonder if the costs are truly worth it to commuters.  A student at Florida State has some interesting data on the issue. (CL, 5/16)

Something tells me this isn’t the best way to avoid drawing attention to yourself on a flight.

-Ciara