June 3, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

D.C. teen pregnancy, a story of cause and effect

TEEN PREGNANCY
In this special report, Elevation DC takes a look at the progress the District has made in reducing teen pregnancy in some areas. The report also examines some of the direct and indirect effects of teen birth, and the continued struggle to end the cycle of poverty that often precedes it. (Elevation DC, 6/3)

While the teen birth rate in the District has declined 65 percent between 1991 and 2010, numbers have remained relatively unchanged over the past several years in wards 7 & 8. In 2007, there were 222 births to teens in Ward 7 and 216 births in 2011, according to the DC Department of Health’s Center for Policy, Planning, and Evaluation. In Ward 8, births to teens were recorded at 306 in 2007 and 295 in 2011.

[…] teen mothers are much more likely to drop out of high school, decreasing their earning potential for their entire lives. The cycle of poverty persists with their children, who often live below the poverty line and become teen parents themselves.

COMMUNICATIONS│ Paul VanDeCarr, Managing Director at Working Narratives, spoke with WRAG members and local nonprofit representatives as part of the 2014 Brightest Minds series. Here, he offers advice for funders and grantees on storytelling to garner support. (Daily, 6/3)

VETERANS │ Opinion: A judge in Fairfax County is seeking to create a veterans treatment docket that would provide specialized programming for offenders who have served in the military. Fairfax County has one of the highest concentrations of veterans in the country, and many offenders are found to have had no criminal record prior to service. (WaPo, 6/2)

EDUCATION │ A look at how much has changed in Prince George’s County schools since new leadership entered the system a year ago. (WaPo, 6/2)

HOMELESSNESS │ Amid complaints of uninhabitable conditions at the D.C. General shelter, homeless families and supporters will gather at 6:30 P.M. to rally for improvements. (DCist, 6/3)

REGION │ What You Need to Know for Virginia’s New Voter ID Law (WAMU, 6/2)

Free ice cream is my favorite flavor…or cookie dough.

Ciara