June 4, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Freddie Mac Foundation announces final wind down plans

COMMUNITY
Yesterday the Freddie Mac Foundation released a letter to the community announcing its final wind down and how it will continue to support its grantees after it closes at the end of 2014. Key to that transition are two WRAG members – the Meyer Foundation and the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region.  Here’s how it will work:

As part of its wind-down strategy, the Freddie Mac Foundation has made a grant to the Meyer Foundation to create the Children and Family Capacity-Building Initiative, a two-year program to provide capacity-building grants and other support to a targeted group of 125 organizations that serve vulnerable children and families in the DC region. The initiative includes a capacity-building grants program, grants to implement the Benevon fundraising model for engaging individual donors, and the opportunity to work with CompassPoint to conduct organizational self-assessments. The initiative was announced to eligible organizations in mid-May, and is described in more detail on the Meyer Foundation’s website. Grantmaking colleagues who would like more information should contact Karen FitzGerald, who is lead program officer for the initiative.

Says Rick Moyers, vice president for programs and communications at Meyer,

While we will miss the Freddie Mac Foundation as part of our community, we admire the thoughtful way they’ve concluded their work. We are also grateful for the opportunity to provide capacity-building resources to help sustain the grantees supported by the Freddie Mac Foundation over the years.

Additionally, the  Freddie Mac Foundation has established two funds at the Community Foundation. These funds will continue Freddie Mac’s legacy of support for children, youth and families in our region by providing funding through 2019 for eligible nonprofits. Both funds will be implemented using the same core outcomes and grantmaking framework established by the Freddie Mac Foundation which is focused on Stable Homes Stable Families, Foster Care and Adoption, and Academic and Career Success.

The Children and Family Legacy Fund, established in 2013, is a designated fund administered by the Community Foundation,  that supports nonprofits previously designated by Freddie Mac as eligible to receive support from the Fund. Nonprofits were notified of their eligibility for support from this fund in early 2014. The newly announced Fund for Children, Youth and Families will make grants beginning in 2016 through an open and competitive grantmaking process  to nonprofits meeting the aforementioned core priorities and outcomes. For additional information please contact Alicia Reid, Philanthropic Services Officer, areid@cfncr.org.

Says Terri Lee Freeman, president of The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region,

The Freddie Mac Foundation has a rich history of supporting and bolstering this local community. The Community Foundation is pleased to help extend this legacy.

Related: Tamara reflected on the Freddie Mac Foundation’s legacy, particularly around their Wednesday’s Child program that connected 2,000 children in foster care to adoptive families. (Daily, 6/4)

YOUTH
Bill Would Give Youths Charged as Adults Right to Motion for Family Court Transfer 
(DCist, 6/4)

Opinion: At a recent policy briefing for the D.C. Children & Youth Investment Trust Corporation,  community leaders provided some insight into the educational aspirations of young black men in the city and what can be done to improve their circumstances. (WaPo, 6/3)

Related: Last month, WRAG, ABFE, D.C. Children & Youth Investment Trust Corporation, the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region and the Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation convened a listening session for the My Brother’s Keeper Initiative Task Force’s Report to the President concerning issues of boys and young men of color.

– A computer program that teaches math to students without using words is improving math test scores in some DCPS schools at as much as three times the rate of those at other schools. (GGE, 6/4)

Prince George’s to discuss how to increase the number of fathers involved in education (WaPo, 6/4)

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet, here are highlights from the transportation plan for the future.  I’ll definitely be filling out the survey here. Will you?

Ciara