June 5, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

D.C. students are getting fit, both mentally and physically

A study out of American University is showing that for D.C. third – fifth graders, when minutes spent on physical activity increased, so did their reading and math scores on the Comprehensive Assessment System. The findings come four years after passing the Healthy Schools Act to lower childhood obesity in District students. Kaiser Permanente has supported research to evaluate the act’s long-term impact. (American University, 6/2)

We’re really pleased to see signs of correlation between healthy school environments and academic progress, and expect that over time, we’ll see similar connections to health outcomes,” said Celeste James, Director of Community Health Initiatives for Kaiser Permanente. “When schools and public and private organizations shape and examine policy together, we support better outcomes for our children across the board.”

– Last year, D.C. Public Schools saw significant gains in testing scores from extending the school day at eight of its low performing schools.  Now, districts across the country contemplate implementing a longer school day to close the achievement gap between students. (Atlantic, 5/30)

– On Wednesday, the Arlington Public School district was awarded the regional Medallion of Excellence Award granted to high performing organizations in the areas of business, nonprofit, education or healthcare. (WaPo, 6/4)

HOUSING A brief, but interesting history lesson on the Anacostia Metro station, the houses that were razed to build it, and the future of the area that surrounds it. (GGW, 6/5)

PHILANTHROPY │ Opinion: How could a national digital library endowment narrow the digital divide? (Philanthropy, 6/4)

TRANSIT │ How to Make Mass Transit Financially Sustainable Once and For All (CL, 6/5)

COMMUNITY │ Last night, The 13th Annual Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation Awards gala was held to honor the service and commitment of public servants who have gone above and beyond for D.C. residents. Congratulations to the five winners who were nominated due to their extraordinary performance.

EVENTS
– DCAYA, in partnership with The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region, will hold an interactive webinar on local and national re-engagement strategies for youth on June 10th at 3 P.M. They will have a panel of experts speaking on the topic and viewers will have an opportunity to engage in the conversation through a live chat.

– The 2nd Annual Do More 24 giving marathon hosted by United Way of the National Capital Area is coming up June 19th. You can find out more about the event here.

Is your open work space a little too open? Check out these new work spaces made just for introverts.

-Ciara