June 6, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Teens in Maryland show changing trends in behavior

YOUTH
A survey given to more than 53,700 students across Maryland last spring has shown the changing attitudes and behaviors of teenagers since 2005. The study resulted in some good and bad news (WTOP, 6/6):

[…] Maryland’s survey on trends in teenagers’ behavior from 2013 shows that since 2005 more kids:

• feel their teachers really care about them;
  • drink less soda;
  • are physically active for 60 or more minutes five or more days a week.

The bad news: The number of teenagers reporting they rarely or never wear a seatbelt, use smokeless tobacco and have used a needle to inject illegal drugs has increased.

– A report out of the Office of the State Superintendent of Education reveals that students in D.C. are disproportionately suspended or expelled if they meet the following criteria – black, male, homeless, in foster care or in need of mental health care. (DCist, 6/6)

Related: Montgomery County recently took a look at the racial disparities in suspensions among their African American and Hispanic students. (Daily, 3/26)

HOMELESSNESS
– An 18-year-old student at Anacostia High speaks on how she is preparing for her upcoming valedictorian speech and attending Georgetown in the fall – and how she reached those goals despite being homeless. (WaPo, 6/6)

– According to a report, D.C.’s largest homeless shelter recently failed its fire inspection. With conditions described as “deplorable,” a city task force will soon release their recommendations for the facility. (WaPo, 6/5)

REGION │ Montgomery County Forms Task Force to Combat Human Trafficking (WAMU, 6/5)

A new study aiming to provide a glimpse of the career experiences of people of color within the philanthropic sector has been released. The report, commissioned by the D5 Coalition, takes a look at career pathways, factors affecting professional development and reflections on diversity in the sector. (D5 Coalition, 5/2014)

– Eleven philanthropies have announced plans to invest in a major long-term effort to advance young men of color in education, employment and health.  The philanthropies, including Open Society Foundations,  have been working in concert with the White House’s My Brother’s Keeper Task Force to identify ways the private and public sector can come together to increase opportunities. (RWJF, 6/5)

Related: Last month, WRAG, ABFED.C. Children & Youth Investment Trust Corporation, the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region and the Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation convened a listening session for the My Brother’s Keeper Initiative Task Force’s Report to the President concerning issues of boys and young men of color.

Did you celebrate National Doughnut Day? In case you did, here’s some ideas for how to work them off!

-Ciara