June 9, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

New study on the needs of veterans in Northern Virginia calls for coordination

VETERANS
The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia, along with the United Way of the National Capital Area and Deloitte Consulting LLP, has released a report assessing the network of services available to post-9/11 veterans and their families in Northern Virginia. The study was conducted on a pro bono basis by Deloitte Consulting over a three year period and uncovered some opportunities for refinement in how veterans are served in the region: (CFNOVA, 6/9)

[…] although veterans in our area are well supported at the macro-level with access to a wide variety of government and nonprofit services, there are several ways that the local philanthropic sector can target its dollars to better support the needs of Northern Virginia’s veterans at the micro-level. Veterans in particular find services to be overly complex and sometimes difficult to access. Greater coordination between government and nonprofit providers to create a seamless web of services would improve the lives of veterans and military families.

CSR │WRAG’s own Director of Corporate Strategy, Katy Moore, was featured in this article on corporate social responsibility where she spoke on ways companies can incorporate valuable practices into their framework. Registration is now open for the 2015 class of the Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility. More information here. (HRE Online, 6/4)

HEALTH │ In a bid to present itself as a socially responsible care facility, Mary’s Center has launched a campaign to attract insured patients whose reimbursement rates can typically cover the cost of care for two uninsured patients. Along with the campaign, the health center hopes to debunk the myth that it is only for low-income individuals. (WBJ, 6/6)

HOUSING │ D.C.’s New Apartments are Getting Smaller. But not exactly more affordable. (Urban Turf, 6/6))

– A new nonprofit is test driving an alternative method for teaching literacy skills to K-12 students in DCPS schools.  So far, the program has been met with high praise for its “transformative”  qualities. (Spark Action, 6/2)

Schools spotlighted in D.C. mayoral race (Politico, 6/9)

REGION 
– With the number of imprisoned women increasing at nearly double the rate of male offenders, a reporter offers a glimpse inside the Maryland Correctional Institute for Women and their efforts to stand out among other facilities.(WTOP, 6/9)

-Six years following the beginning of the recession, private sector job growth in D.C. grew by 9.7 percent. Over the same period in the surrounding suburbs, it grew by 0.5 percent. According to the report, released by the Office of the Chief Financial Officer, 93 percent of those jobs in D.C. were in education, food services and health. (City Paper, 6/5)

COMMUNITY │ Tonight, the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy will hold its 2nd annual Impact Awards ceremony where the Hill-Snowdon Foundation will receive an award in the category of Small or Mid-Sized Private Grantmaker for their commitment to effective philanthropy and positive outcomes.

Do the melodic, tranquil sounds of the bus/train make you sleepy? Here’s how you can avoid the few awkward moments where you wake up and wonder where you are.

-Ciara