June 10, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Helping homeless students succeed in and out of school

The D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute has released the third part of its series on the impact of poverty in educational outcomes. The brief outlines the challenges and examines the available services for homeless District students. (DCFPI, 6/10)

Over 4,000 students were homeless in D.C. Public Schools in school year 2013-14. This is a 37 percent increase from school year 2011-12. In some schools, as many as one-fourth of the students are homeless, and one in eight schools has a student homelessness rate of more than 10 percent.

Related: Access to quality and affordable housing is a critical component of educational success. Late last year WRAG published an edition of What Funders Need to Know focused on this topic. (Daily, Dec. 2013)

– Following the unveiling of a number of disparities in student expulsions and suspensions across the nation, the Council of State Governments’ Justice Center released The School Discipline Consensus Report to serve as a guide for improving disciplinary practices in public schools. (WaPo, 6/2)

SIBs │ The Kojo Nnamdi Show will discuss social impact bonds and their potential to solve public problems today at 1 P.M. (Kojo Nnamdi Show, 6/10)

Related: Earlier this year, WRAG member CEOs convened to hear from a colleague at a foundation in Cleveland, Ohio, that has been deeply engaged in developing a social impact bond in that city. Tamara provided a bit of a primer on social impact bonds on the Daily. (Daily, 4/2)

FOOD │ Take a look at how schools in D.C. are getting students to run their very own farmer’s markets. (Elevation D.C., 6/10)

REGION │ According to a list from the personal finance website, NerdWallet, Washington, D.C. is the third best large city in the nation for working women. Women in D.C. earn the highest median salary and 90.6 percent of what men in the same position earn, but this benefit gets offset by the high cost of living. (WBJ, 6/9)

TRANSIT │ The Colossal Expectations of D.C.’s Newest Metro Line (CL, 6/10)

Well, the National Mall is lovely this time of year.

-Ciara