June 12, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

100 homes for those in need in Arlington

HOMELESSNESS
– The ambitious “100,000 Homes Campaign,” launched in New York four years ago to end chronic homelessness in areas across the country, has officially reached its goal of placing 100,000 individuals in permanent housing. The campaign has even made a local impact: (NPR, 6/11)

[Arlington] county, working with the Arlington Street People’s Assistance Network, got about 100 chronically homeless residents into permanent housing. Other communities in the campaign — like Phoenix, New Orleans and Salt Lake City — have also made huge dents in their homeless populations.

The key, say advocates, is housing people first, then providing services like counseling and health care to make sure they stay housed. The federal government pitched in with hundreds of millions of dollars in housing vouchers, especially for homeless veterans.

– Here is the inspirational commencement speech from the Anacostia High School student who received a full scholarship to Georgetown University despite living in the D.C. General Homeless Shelter. (DCist, 6/12)

Muriel Bowser commits to keeping Kaya Henderson as D.C. schools chancellor.(WaPo, 6/11)

– Despite the use of “choice sets” of schools in Boston and San Francisco, D.C. does not plan to implement a school lottery any time soon. (WAMU, 6/12)

– A network of private Catholic high schools serving low-income students around the country, with one in Takoma Park, is helping them go to college by sending them to work one day a week (NPR, 6/11)

HOUSING │ As gentrification continues to be a hot topic across the nation, an author offers his view on both sides of the coin. (GGW, 6/11)

POVERTY │ The correlation between unemployment and mental health can be a never ending story. (Atlantic, 6/9)

NONPROFIT │ Following her 18-year tenure as the director of Life Pieces to Masterpieces, an arts-based youth development organization focused on changing the lives of young black men,  Mary Brown will soon become DC Promise Neighborhood Initiative’s new Executive Director. (DCPNI, 6/12)

Who has World Cup fever? Take a look at these beautifully painted streets people in Brazil have shared to express their love for soccer.

-Ciara