June 18, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

New D.C. graduation requirements may soon be on the horizon

– The D.C. State Board of Education plans to propose new graduation requirements that would lead to two new types of basic high school diplomas. Students would have the opportunity to earn either a basic diploma or another indicating higher achievement. Additionally, students would be further assessed on competency rather than hours spent in class. (GGE, 6/18)

Currently DCPS has a plethora of diploma types—as many as 27, according to the Board’s executive director, Jesse Rauch. Some high schools, particularly the selective ones, have added their own requirements to the minimum specified by the DC government and DCPS.

[…]

Charter schools often have their own requirements too, and some have even challenged the idea that the Board’s minimum graduation requirements apply to them, according to Rauch. The differing frameworks can lead to problems when students transfer from one school to another, as often happens in DC.

– In a move that may soon be reversed by the Senate, funding for the D.C. Tag tuition assistance program has been cut by a third in a new budget. (WAMU, 6/18)

YOUTH │ According to a new study out of the University of Virginia, the routine police interrogation techniques used by detectives may result in a high rate of false confessions from teens who are not yet well-equipped enough to handle the pressure. (WAMU, 6/17)

COMMUNITY │ The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia has established a new Business Women’s Giving Circle comprised of successful women business leaders looking to empower girls and women of all ages through philanthropy in the Northern Virginia region. (CFNV, 6/18)

REGION
– A community benefits agreement between MGM and Prince George’s County aims to supply thousands of jobs for local residents. Additionally, the agreement lays out the philanthropic commitment MGM plans to make in the surrounding community. (WBJ, 6/17)

– Terry Clower, who currently heads the economic development research center at the University of North Texas, is slated to become George Mason University’s deputy director of the Center for Regional Analysismaking him the heir apparent to current director Stephen Fuller. Transportation research and strategic economic development planning are among Clower’s top priorities. (WBJ, 6/17)

FOOD │ Several new efforts to grow healthy, fresh food right here in Greater Washington and get it to low-income community members were recently highlighted in the Washington Post. Check out this profile of Arcadia’s unique mobile market, Capital Area Food Bank’s garden and nutrition education work, and the range of programs taking place at UDC’s experimental farm in Prince George’s County. (WaPo, 6/17)

Related: Are you a WRAG member or funder in Greater Washington who wants to learn more? A few spaces remain in two events that the Washington Regional Food Funders are hosting next week.

PHILANTHROPY │ Charities Try New Strategies as Fundraising Rebounds (Chronicle, 6/17)

The 26th Annual World’s Ugliest Dog Contest will be held this week. Take a look at some of the contestants. They’re actually very adorable.