June 19, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Disengagement among Montgomery County’s Latino students shown in new report

Do More 24 is today! There are a number of ways to get involved including restaurant promotions and online giving. Help make history!

YOUTH
A new report from the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region and the nonprofit, Identity Inc. reveals some significant disparities among Montgomery County’s Latino student population. In an otherwise affluent county with a strong school system, the report offers insight into the factors that may contribute to disconnection and recommends what could be done to turn it around. (WaPo, 6/19)

The message is that we have got to come together,” said C. Marie Henderson, director of the Montgomery County affiliate of the Community Foundation. “It’s a community issue that we all have to tackle together.”

Montgomery County Schools Superintendent Joshua P. Starr said he appreciated the collaborative spirit of the report and thinks that its findings reinforce the importance of relationships between students and school staff.

The full report, “Connecting Youth to Opportunity: How Latino Youth Perspectives Can Inform A Blueprint for Improving Opportunity in Montgomery County, Maryland,” can be found here.

REGION
– Researchers out of the University of Virginia have released a series of graphs that show the continual movement of the city’s more affluent and educated residents farther east. (GGW, 6/18)

The percentage of people with graduate and professional degrees used to drop very sharply between west and east (the white line). It has increased all across the region, but most of all in the center (mostly DC and Arlington). And the drop-off has become far less steep, reflecting how many highly-educated people have been moving into neighborhoods on the east side of DC and places like Silver Spring.

D.C. Area Sees Surge of Underage Undocumented Immigrants (WAMU, 6/19)

DISTRICT │ This installment on the state of sex work in America looks at how D.C. has taken measures to improve law enforcement’s relations with the transgender and sex worker communities. (CityLab, 6/19)

AGING │ Considering that in just 12 years the oldest Baby Boomers will turn 80, long-term care will be more important than ever given the large population of this generation. AARP has released a scorecard on how each state ranks in terms of care and quality . (NPR, 6/19)

CSR
Deloitte LLP’s Kelly Waldron, a member of the inaugural class of the Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility, explains how she is putting the experience to good use at her day-to-day job and why she can’t wait for the next session to begin. (Daily, 6/19)

– A survey of Millennial-aged employees shows that good volunteer policies in the workplace greatly affected their decision to accept employment. (Chronicle, 6/18)

EVENTS │ The One Percent Foundation, a network of online giving circles, will host a philanthropic happy hour event next Thursday, June 26th at 6 PM.

Forget spending hours, days, weeks sculpting away.  A Smithsonian team has created a bust of President Barack Obama using 3-D printing. Oh, technology!

Ciara

One Comment

1. SupportTheDistrict / Jun 20 2014 10:26 am

the One Percent Foundation event that you promote has a headline “we love the District”. their event is focused on 3 nonprofits that don’t do anything focused on the District; they work nationally or internationally and just happen to be located in the District.