June 23, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Working and living in a region on the rise…not without its challenges

REGION/WORKFORCE
Although it is constantly reported that the Washington region has a thriving economy compared to the rest of the country, many residents still face real challenges on a daily basis. The D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute, the Commonwealth Institute and the Maryland Center on Economic Policy have released Five Charts That Show the Challenges of Working and Living in the Washington Region to coincide with their new report, Bursting the Bubble: The Challenges of Working and Living in the National Capital Region. (DCFPI, 6/23)

The economic recovery has yet to reach many of those living in the national capital region. Wages and employment have fallen during the recovery for workers with less than a bachelor’s degree, while they have grown significantly for those with a bachelor’s degree or higher. Job losses have been particularly high in the construction and trade/transportation/utilities industries, while jobs grew substantially in the public administration and education/health industries.

How do D.C., Maryland and Virginia Compare on Family-Friendly Laws? Not so great. (WAMU, 6/23)

– Three Virginia jurisdictions- Alexandria, Arlington and Fairfax – are among the bottom ten places in the U.S. gaining employed peoplewith both employment and unemployment numbers on the decline…but there may be a good reason for that: retirement. (CityLab, 6/20)

– Meanwhile, at the state level, jobless rates rose in Maryland and Virginia and remained the same in D.C. (WBJ, 6/20)

HOUSING │ Popups – renovated row houses built up to the maximum height requirements permitted by zone regulations – are causing concern to many residents who question whether the high-priced, quick-selling homes should continue being developed when affordable housing is so desperately needed. (WaPo, 6/22)

EDUCATION │ Following alarm by faculty and parents when scores dipped to a 50%-60% failure rate in some classes, Montgomery County Public Schools eye strategies to increase the low scores on high school math exams. (WaPo, 6/22)

– Last week , The Washington Business Journal  held its 2014 Corporate Philanthropy Awards. Congratulations to Capital One for being named the Number One Corporate Philanthropists by Local Giving. (WBJ, 6/19)

Says WRAG Director of Corporate Strategy, Katy Moore:

“We are so proud of Capital One! This award is a well-deserved acknowledgement for one of the most community-minded and generous companies in our region. We’re also delighted that the leader of Capital One’s community involvement efforts, Carolyn Berkowitz, has agreed to be a part of the faculty of the 2015 Institute for Corporate Philanthropy – What a treat for next year’s students.”

Congratulations to the dozen other WRAG members who were ranked in the top 50 for giving and top 25 for volunteer hours:

Corporate Philanthropy:
1. Capital One Financial Corp.
2. Clark Enterprises, Inc.
3. CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
10. Northrop Grumman Corp.
11. Booz Allen Hamilton
12. Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States Inc.
13. PNC Bank
14. Pepco Holdings, Inc.
18. Deloitte LLP
23. Washington Gas
31. Gannet Co. Inc.
50. IBM Corp

Volunteer Hours:
2. Deloitte LLP
5. IBM Corp.
6. The Advisory Board Co.
8. Capital One Financial Corp.
9. Booz Allen Hamilton
11. Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States Inc.
13. CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
17. Washington Gas
20. Clark Enterprises, Inc.
21. Pepco Holdings, Inc

– To mark the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy has commissioned a paper on the oft overlooked role of foundations dedicated to the cause during that time. (NCRP, 6/16)

ARTS │ The popular international film festival, AFI Docs, screened a documentary set in D.C. following formerly homeless women as they create a play based on their own life experiences and perform it at the Kennedy Center in How I Got Over. (WAMU, 6/20)

NONPROFITS │ The Center for Nonprofit Advancement is now accepting nominations for the Gelman, Rosenberg & Freeman 2014 EXCEL Award which spotlights up to three nonprofit leaders in the Washington metropolitan area for outstanding nonprofit chief executive leadership. Learn more here.

I can’t wait to meet Kamala, Swarna and Maharani!

-Ciara

One Comment

1. My Freedom Smokes Promo Codes / Oct 3 2014 8:22 pm

When I originally commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new
    comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I receive four emails with the
    exact same comment. Is there an easy method you can remove me from that service?
    Thank you!