June 24, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

The many obstacles facing Langley Park youth

A new report, issued by CASA de Maryland, Prince George’s County Public Schools and the Urban Institute reveals many of the challenges facing teens growing up in the Langley Park community. The study notes gang affiliation, pregnancy and employment as deterrents for many students to complete high school. (WaPo, 6/23)

The study found that 82 percent of Langley Park students are at risk by the time they reach ninth grade and that just 45 percent of the community’s students graduate from high school in four years, not much more than half the national high school graduation rate of 84 percent. More than half the adults in Langley Park have less than a ninth-grade education, almost 10 times the national average, highlighting concerns about how to increase the chances of success for the community’s children.

The report, “From Cradle to Career: The Multiple Challenges Facing Immigrant Families in Langley Park Promise Neighborhood,” can be found here.

– The U.S. Department of Education announced that it has tightened the reigns on education requirements for students with special needs to make progress in school. According to the revised guidelines, the region faces a lot of room for improvement: (WaPo, 6/24)

Under the new criteria, Maryland is among the states that no longer meet federal requirements, joining the District, which has been out of compliance for the past eight years. Virginia meets the demands of federal law under the new rules, as it did last year under the old accounting system.

FOOD
– The U.S. Department of Agriculture has released a report on the lingering food insecurity that is affecting households across the country, despite post-recession gains in employment. (USDA, June 2014)

– Amid the controversy surrounding the proposed “fitness tax” in D.C., the discussion has shifted to economic disparity as residents are questioning the consequences it could have east of the river, where health clubs may be heavily discouraged to expand. (WaPo, 6/23)

– WRAG’s Lindsay Smith explains how the Washington Regional Food Funders Working Group will begin educating area leaders on how to develop a stronger and more equitable regional food system. (Daily, 6/24)

HEALTH/CHILDREN │ The American Academy of Pediatrics announced that it will implement new guidelines for pediatricians under which they will begin advising parents to read to their children from birth in order to promote proper brain development. (NYT, 6/24)

ARTS │ After searching for space for five years, the Washington Project for the Arts will be permanently housed at the Atlantic Plumbing redevelopment site. The project serves as an example of both a local arts nonprofit benefiting from new real estate development, as well as a developer understanding the value the arts add to the surrounding neighborhood.(City Paper, 6/23)

REGION
– According to census data on population growth, D.C. is among the 19 out of 51 major metropolitan areas that saw its city center grow faster than its suburbs between 2012 and 2013. (CityLab, 6/23)

D.C. area’s economy is bigger than Thailand and Austria (WBJ, 6/23)

Ever wonder how much Americans are spending on printed books, slot machines, or Slurpees® in real-time? Now you can find out in this cool visual.

Ciara