June 25, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

The District eyes making in-boundary preschool a guarantee

A new proposal that would guarantee pre-kindergarten access to children who live in-boundary for high poverty, Title I schools is being examined. (WaPo, 6/25)

Currently preschool enrollment is determined by lottery. No one is guaranteed a seat, and it’s not unusual for students to be shut out of the schools to which they apply. This spring, 12 percent of 3-year-olds and 23 percent of 4-year-olds who entered the first round of the city’s preschool lottery did not get in anywhere.

– The Washington Post shares a heartwarming story of two young men from Village Academy schools who will be attending college in the fall despite facing a number of setbacks. (WaPo, 6/24)

HIV│ In collaboration with the Virginia Department of Health, Walgreens will administer free, private HIV testing through 2016. Additionally, in recognition of National HIV Testing Day this Friday, free HIV testing will expand to other locations outside of Virginia June 26th – June 28th. (WAMU, 6/25)

CSR │ While mid-sized business make up 26 percent of organizations in the U.S., they are often left out of the corporate social responsibility conversation. Here’s a great article that makes the case for mid-sized businesses to engage in the activities and practices of CSR. (Causecast, 5/19)

YOUTH/FOOD One City Youth’s website has an interactive map, created by D.C. Hunger Solutions, to find information about the D.C. Free Summer Meals Program. Check it out here.

REGION
– A study from Opportunity Nation and Measure of America shows that overall, Americans have less economic opportunity than in 1970. Locally, D.C. and Maryland were in the top 10 states for opportunity improvement, and Virginia came out on top with significant gains in income and graduation rates. (WaPo, 6/24)

– Many Takoma Park officials and residents are speaking out against plans to redevelop atop the Takoma Park metro station, which are part of an effort to create more easily-accessible housing in the neighborhood. (GGW, 6/23)

PHILANTHROPY │ Opinion: How Foundations Can be the Risk Takers They Want to be (Chronicle, 6/16)

COMMUNITY
– Volunteer Fairfax has launched a Pro Bono and Skills-Based Pinboard where nonprofits can post available pro bono projects and companies can post available pro bono skills.

– Speaking of pro bono activities, in this video Danielle Reyes of the Meyer Foundation discusses capacity building through pro bono talent. (GrantCraft, 6/21)

ARTS │ Next year, a gallery that used to be an auto body shop in the Trinidad neighborhood will become the new hub for the Capital Fringe arts festival – a three week-long event that takes place each summer. (City Paper, 6/24)

DISTRICT │ MIT Media Labs released a map of the city where users can determine the best mode of transit based on where they live. (GGW, 6/25)

Thirty years ago today, a paisley, purple revolution (of sorts) took place. 

Ciara

One Comment

1. autobody / Oct 7 2014 11:47 am

Greetings! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a
    new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have
    done a extraordinary job!