June 30, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Possible school day extension in D.C. met with resistance

Despite signs of success in an experiment with eight schools, the D.C. Teacher’s Union is resistant to adjust to longer school days for the 2014-15 academic year. D.C. Chancellor, Kaya Henderson, has argued that adding just one extra hour of instruction could significantly impact student success. (WaPo, 6/29)

Eight D.C. traditional schools have experimented with longer days, and most have seen gains on standardized math and reading tests. Henderson set aside $5.1 million to add an hour of instruction at 42 more schools for the 2014-15 school year, but at almost all of those schools, teachers either voted against adopting the longer day or union members prevented the issue from coming up for a vote.

Only two schools — Amidon-Bowen Elementary in Southwest and Whittier Education Campus in Brightwood — voted to implement the longer day schoolwide in the fall.

OpinionD.C.’s special education students deserve quality instruction (WaPo, 6/27)

Longtime Loudon superintendent reflects on public education as he retires (WaPo, 6/29)

HOUSING
– Under a new proposal from the D.C. Office of Planning, the popular practice of converting row houses into 3- and 4- unit condos in neighborhoods like Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights would no longer be permitted. (GGW, 6/30)

– The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region invites you to the release of a landmark new study, “Housing Security in the Washington Region.” The event will include two sessions on Tuesday, July 15th – a public briefing on the study, followed by a private briefing for funders co-sponsored by WRAG. Find out more here.

HEALTHCARE │ An informal group of foundations that fund in Montgomery County have come together to support the transformation of the health care safety-net in the county. This collaborative funding approach is expected to amplify the impact of foundation resources. Funders include the Healthcare Initiative Foundation, The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation, CareFirst BlueCross Blueshield, the Consumer Health Foundation, Kaiser Permanente, the Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation Montgomery County Department of Health & Human Services and The Primary Care Coalition of Montgomery County.

YOUTH │ One D.C. parent has created a program to teach youth practical life skills while honoring the idea of cultural rituals with a program called “Project I Am Thirteen.” (WaPo, 6/29)

PHILANTHROPY │ In case you missed The Chronicle of Philanthropy’s live stream of a panel discussing The Outlook for American Giving in 2014, here is the video. (Chronicle, 6/24)

TRANSITRiders Balk as Metro Fares Increase 3 Percent on Average (WAMU, 6/29)

Not cool Facebook, not cool!

-Ciara