July 1, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Putting an end to veteran homelessness in D.C.

HOMELESSNESS/VETERANS
With the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development estimating that around 58,849 U.S. veterans are homeless on any given night, with 589 of them in D.C., a number of community organizations are pondering how to stop the cycle with a long-term solution once and for all. (WTOP, 7/1)

In August, 2013, Veterans NOW, a group of nine community organizations and local and federal partners, launched incremental campaigns to get veterans off the streets and into supportive housing. The group estimates that 1,625 veterans need housing assistance to end veteran homelessness in D.C. by 2015.

[…]

Fixing chronic veteran homelessness is not as simple as removing veterans from the streets and placing them in homes. Veterans NOW assesses each person’s needs and decides whether rapid, short-term housing is best, or permanent housing with support from a case manager is needed.

FOOD │ Last week, Kaiser Permanente and Elevation DC hosted a panel discussion about the impact of food on communities – particularly D.C.’s food system.  You can read a write up on the discussion here. (Elevation DC, 7/1)

Related: Prior to the panel discussion, Washington Regional Food Funders (WRFF) hosted a networking reception for public and private funders. WRFF briefly shared their strategic plan and activities for 2014. They also took a tour last week of two urban agriculture projects: City Blossoms’ Marion Street Intergenerational Garden and Bread for the City’s rooftop garden.

HEALTHCARE │ Despite hiccups with the online health insurance marketplace, 72,207 people were able to buy insurance through the Maryland health exchange(WBJ, 7/1)

WORKFORCE │ Today, the minimum wage jumps from $8.25 to $9.50 in D.C.’s first phase of wage increases. (WAMU, 7/1)

DISTRICT │ The much-buzzed-about construction at St. Elizabeths campus may not begin for another year, though the city is still optimistic redevelopment will boost the surrounding economy. (WBJ, 6/30)

Here are 18 of the best places in the area to watch fireworks this weekend.

-Ciara