July 2, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

D.C. sees decline in new HIV cases, though epidemic continues

HIV
According to data released  in the “Annual Epidemiology & Surveillance Report” compiled by the D.C. Department of Health, there were fewer new HIV cases in 2012. With signs of progress, the data still point to levels at epidemic rates. (WaPo, 7/2)

[…] 680 new HIV cases were reported [in 2012] , down from 722 new cases in 2011 and 1,180 in 2008. And 221 HIV-positive city residents died in 2012, down from 345 in 2008 and 229 in 2011.

More than 16,000 city residents lived with HIV in 2012, a steady rise that city officials attribute to better treatment and survival rates.

– In an effort to ramp up support and increase enrollment, D.C. Public School principals have taken to the streets going door-to-door in the community.  They are doing so with the help of political campaign experts who worked with Barack Obama during his campaign. (WaPo, 7/1)

– In light of the recent news that D.C. schools are still out of compliance for special education criteria, the city looks for ways to remedy the problem. (WaPo, 7/1)

Opinion: Prince George’s schools, UMBC are helping black students succeed (WaPo, 7/1)

WORKFORCE
 More evidence that the D.C. area job market is looking stagnant (WaPo, 7/1)

– Youth unemployment is a lingering problem in the Washington region. In this articleNPR offers a glimpse at what is also happening across the country. (NPR, 7/2)

COMMUNITY │ On Monday, WRAG president Tamara Copeland, Pat Mathews of the Northern Virginia Health Foundation, and David Bowers of Enterprise Community Partners sat down with Washington Business Report, a weekly show on ABC 7/WJLA to discuss the business of philanthropy.  The show will air Sunday, July 6th at 9:00 AM. Be sure to tune in!

HOUSING │ With fewer people embarking on first-time home ownership, Virginia has established a new program to help make the dream a reality. (WaPo, 7/1)

Take a look at this Ted Talk that explores where good ideas come from.

-Ciara