July 8, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

One in four PG County students failing to graduate in four years

With one in four students failing to graduate high school within four years, Prince George’s County Schools scramble to find root causes and resolutions to a growing problem. (WaPo, 7/7)

The graduation rate in Prince George’s inched up slightly from 2012 to 2013. But the percentage of students who graduated on time in 2013 — 74.1 percent — was lower than the 76.2 percent rate [in] 2010, leaving the county 10 percentage points behind the Maryland statewide average. In 2012, average U.S. graduation rates rose to 80 percent, a high-water mark. Graduation rates for 2014 are not available.

– Comparing the annual mean wage and industry size of metropolitan areas, NerdWallet has deemed the Washington region to be the third-best place for STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) graduates, placing the area ahead of tech-hub San Francisco. (NerdWallet, 7/7)

HEALTHCARE │ The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has announced $83.4 million in Affordable Care Act funding to support primary care residency programs in 60 Teaching Health Centers across the nation. The funding will help train more than 550 residents during the 2014-2015 academic year, increasing the number of residents trained in the previous academic year by more than 200 and helping to increase access to health care in communities across the country.

AGING/HOUSING │ A property tax exemption that would have helped many long-time senior residents of D.C. stay in their homes, will only be offered as a tax deferment next year due to budget restraints. (WAMU, 7/8)

PHILANTHROPY  Opinion: Obama’s Plan to Aid Black Men and Boys Will be a Boon to Other Groups, Too (Chronicle, 7/5)

Related: In May, WRAG, ABFED.C. Children & Youth Investment Trust Corporation, the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region and the Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation convened a listening session for the My Brother’s Keeper Initiative Task Force’s Report to the President concerning issues of boys and young men of color.

GENDER EQUALITY │ The Washington Area Women’s Foundation takes a look at Title IX over forty years since its passing, and how far we must still go to close gender and racial gaps. (WAWF Blog, 7/3)

DISTRICT │ Continued delays in the development of the Department of Homeland Security headquarters at St. Elizabeths have some wondering if the surrounding community could miss what they never had. (City Paper, 7/7)

That addiction to playing Candy Crush on your smartphone may actually be pretty good for you!

Ciara