July 22, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Urban farming continues to grow in the D.C. area

FOOD
The future of urban farming in D.C. looks bright – even with challenges of space and high taxes. Read how some farmers in the area have gotten creative with urban farming models in spite of those obstacles. (Elevation, 7/22)

The urban farming models that have proven the most successful here hinge on growing food for individuals or retail outlets on a contract basis — and not having to pay taxes on the land where the food is grown.

But new models continue to emerge, and city officials seem eager to consider how they might build a healthier ecosystem for locally grown food.

[…]

As some D.C.-based farming hopefuls wait in the wings for better policies or grow food outside the city, others have forged business models around the unique challenges of urban agriculture.

– In Prince George’s County, hundreds of incoming second graders are participating in a new, free summer school program that teaches math and reading fundamentals. (WaPo, 7/21)

Tensions over DCPS-charter planning reflect different perspectives (GGE, 7/22)

WORKFORCE
Yesterday, in a move that is expected to affect a great deal of the nation’s workforce, President Barack Obama signed an executive order banning workplace discrimination against LGBT individuals (HuffPo, 7/21):

The executive order has two parts: It makes it illegal to fire or harass employees of federal contractors based on their sexual orientation or gender identity, and it explicitly bans discrimination against transgender employees of the federal government. The part targeting federal contractors affects 24,000 companies employing roughly 28 million workers, or about one-fifth of the nation’s workforce.

PHILANTHROPY Opinion: Philanthropy Must Step Up Action to Help Children Crossing the Border (Chronicle, 7/22)

DISTRICT
Obama on D.C.’s statehood: ‘I’m for it (WaPo, 7/21)

– The Gateway Pavilion, the initial phase in the St. Elizabeths Campus redevelopment, has brought a number of new offerings and new people to the once elusive area in Ward 8. (DCist, 7/21)

What do you do with 19 hours of free time? Visit 86 metro stations….in one day!

-Ciara