July 28, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Overcrowding in Fairfax County a response to affordable housing shortage

HOUSING
In Fairfax County, many families are staying in overcrowded living situations in order to be able to afford to remain in the area. While county officials search for consensus on an affordable solution, one woman tells her story as her family of three shares a two-bedroom apartment with an unrelated couple. (WaPo, 7/27)

“This is what one must do in order to provide a home for your children,” said [Dionicia] Gomez, whose apartment is part of a bustling complex that overlooks a golf course outside Falls Church. “There are a lot of people in this area living the same way.”

[…]

So far this year, county inspectors have investigated 497 complaints of overcrowded housing, with about two-thirds of that number leading to citations, officials said. Last year, 814 homes were cited for overcrowding in places including Falls Church and Annandale. Homeowners complain that the problem is far more widespread than the number of citations would suggest, while housing advocates argue that the citations illustrate an increasing need for more affordable options.

EDUCATION │ When high performing high school students from lower-income areas go off to prestigious colleges in higher-income areas, the experience can prove to be a bit of a culture shock. A valedictorian from D.C.’s Dunbar High School shares his challenges getting through his first year at Georgetown University. (WaPo, 7/27)

– The efforts of smaller foundations and individuals can often fly under the radar when it comes to their impact on causes. In this video, panelists discuss the issue and the growing influence small grantmakers have. (Chronicle, 7/28)

OpinionSocial Change Requires Foundations to Help Nonprofits Extend Their Digital Reach (Chronicle, 7/25)

HEALTH │ The Red Cross says that D.C. is facing a big drop in numbers of those donating blood, resulting in a heavy shortage in the area. (WTOP, 7/28)

SIBs Social Impact Bonds: Phantom of the Nonprofit Sector (NPQ, 7/25)

Though a firm handshake is considered the professional norm, should we actually be fist bumping instead?

-Ciara