August 5, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Black workers face significant disparities in the region’s job market

POVERTY
In the region, black residents face significant disparities in the ability to find a job, regardless of education level. Additionally, the wage gap continues to widen (DCFPI, 8/5):

No matter the education level, black residents in the region face far higher unemployment levels than other residents. This is particularly true for black workers without a high school diploma, where one in four black residents are unemployed, compared with fewer than 10 percent of white, non-Hispanic residents. Even black residents with an advanced education face job challenges. The unemployment rate for black residents with a college degree or more is 6 percent, compared with 2 percent for white residents with the same educational attainment.

Pedestrians Dying at Disproportionate Rates in America’s Poorer Neighborhoods (Governing, 8/2014)

Opinion: In Montgomery County, Council members and school officials recently discussed plans to promote more student diversity in the school district by potentially redrawing school boundaries, citing research that low-income students attending low-poverty schools tend to fare better than low-income students attending high-poverty schools. Another issue, however, has risen out of the discussion as some wonder if it is being implied that students of color can only succeed when placed with more affluent, white students. (MoCo Ed Blog, 8/1)

Opinion: D.C. charters deserve the same funding as traditional public schools (WaPo, 8/4)

YOUTH │ According to research from Child Trends, economic hardship, followed by having been a witness to or victim of violence, account for the most occurrences of adverse childhood experiences in the District. (Child Trends, 7/2014)

– Andy Carroll of Exponent Philanthropy offers funders five ways to effectively lead in an ever-evolving society. (Exponent Philanthropy, 8/4)

Foundation-Owned Social Enterprises: A New Way Forward? (SSI Review, 8/4)

HOUSING │ Here’s Where D.C.’s Most and Least Expensive Rents are Found (Curbed, 8/4)

3-D printing is really taking off! Check out these area volunteers who are putting their skills to use for a great cause.

-Ciara