August 6, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Immigrant youth in Langley Park juggle education with employment

YOUTH
On the heels of the recent report out of the Urban Institute, “From Cradle to Career: The Multiple Challenges Facing Immigrant Families in Langley Park Promise Neighborhood,” the lead author, Molly Scott is interviewed on some of the key findings and possible solutions to tackle the issue of youth trading in education for work. (NPR, 8/4)

On how to prevent youths in immigrant families from falling behind:

In the policy world we’re talking a lot about whole family approaches. You know, in this case, that’s a very appropriate way to think about this problem — that it’s not just the kid in isolation but, […] the family, and having sort of resource-sufficiency. Interventions with the parents themselves for education and training as well as figuring out how you help families meet some of those basic needs could be really helpful.

A program in the District offers homeless children an opportunity to learn photography skills with a celebrity photojournalist. Their pictures will then be used on holiday cards that will be sold to raise funds for a worthy cause (WaPo, 8/5):

VETERANS │The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia awarded a grant of $33,000 to Mental Health Association of Montgomery County’s (MHA) “Serving Together” Program through its Military Families and their Personnel Fund. The grant will support MHA in its initial stage to bring its successful program to the Northern Virginia region, and directly addresses the Community Foundation’s findings in its recent study, Supporting Our Region’s Veterans,” published in June, which identified a need for greater coordination between government and nonprofit providers to better serve military families in the Northern Virginia region. (CFNOVA, 8/5)

HEALTHCARE │ Today, home care workers in D.C. plan to rally in front of city hall to speak out against withheld wages that were cut off after their employers were terminated from the District’s Medicaid program. They will also be protesting against a proposal that would exclude them from the D.C. living wage law. (WBJ, 8/5)

Related: Last year, we published What Funders Need to Know: Quality Care = Quality Jobs, which takes a look at how direct care jobs can be improved in order to better support workers, as well as ensure better care for our rapidly aging population. (Daily, 6/25)

ARTS │ Lumen8Anacostia, the east-of-the-river neighborhood’s three-month arts festival that began in 2012 and sought to position the area as an arts destination, has been put on hiatus due to a lack of resources. (WCP, 8/5)

FOOD
– A free summer program, developed by Georgetown University students, is geared toward children of a subsidized housing development in the Parkside-Kenilworth neighborhood, and is teaching them how to garden while integrating science and writing lessons in between. (WaPo, 8/5)

Opinion: In honor of National Farmers Market Week, The New York Times has an op-ed on why they are so essential, and even highlights the D.C. area’s FRESHFARM Markets. (NYT, 8/5)

– These days there’s a mobile app for every little thing, but some developers are focusing their efforts on improving the world on a broader scale. A new app seeks to do something about the billions of dollars in food that is wasted in the U.S. by offering people a chance to purchase excess products from grocers and restaurants at a heavily discounted price before it is tossed out. Currently the app operates in New York City, but may expand to D.C. and other cities very soon. (NPR, 8/6)

CSR Dollars for Doers: Still the Incentive “Nobody Wants?” (RealizedWorth, 8/5)

The process of unlocking one’s phone can be long and tedious. Finally, someone has come up with a solution to save our thumbs.

-Ciara