August 22, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

New school boundary plans announced for 2015-2016

Mayor Vincent Gray has authorized a new school boundary plan that will go into effect for the 2015-2016 school year. The scheduled changes will eventually impact thousands of students and aim to further the investment of residents into neighborhood schools. (WaPo, 8/21)

Each D.C. home now will be assigned to one elementary, middle and high school, a departure from the current patchwork system, in which more than a fifth of all public school students have rights to attend multiple schools, a result of school closings and consolidations.

The new map of neighborhood schools reflects a strong public desire for predictability, District officials say. While only about 25 percent of city students now attend their assigned school, earlier proposals to replace neighborhood schools with schools that have regional or citywide lotteries were widely unpopular.

– Here’s a breakdown of how students in the District will be affected by the new school boundary assignment changes at each school level. (WCP, 8/21)

DISTRICT
– Many taxi drivers in D.C. will avoid taking passengers into underserved neighborhoods out of fear for safety or an opportunity for more lucrative fares elsewhere, leaving those who live east of the river stranded. Though not exactly a solution, the D.C. Taxicab Commission announced plans to offer courtesy vans next summer that would carry passengers who need to go outside of specified boundaries to a Metro station, a bus stop…or yet another taxi stand. (WAMU, 8/22)

Southeast D.C. residents take a stand against increased violence (FOX5, 8/21)

POVERTY/HEALTH │ Faced with inconsistent work schedules and low incomes, research shows that those in poverty are more likely to be overweight than their wealthier counterparts. (Atlantic, 8/21)

Compared to adults making $75,000 or more, those making less than $20,000 were 50 percent less likely to exercise, 42 percent less likely to drink a lot of water, and 25 percent less likely to eat less fat and sweets. And adults making between $20,000 and $75,000 were about 50 percent more likely to use over-the-counter diet pills, which aren’t proven to work.

PHILANTHROPY The Role of Grantmakers in Collective Impact (SSIR, 8/21)

Two hundred years ago this week during the War of 1812, the British won the Battle of Bladensburg and went on to burn the White House and the U.S. Capitol. Here’s how the burning of D.C. would have been covered if, you know, anyone had been around back then.