September 5, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Visualizing the links between poverty and low test scores

– Here are three maps that illustrate the correlation between poverty and low standardized test scores for students in reading and math. The maps confirm the strong need for education equality across the city.(GGW, 9/4)

Taken together, the maps show that on average, the higher the child poverty rate in a neighborhood, the lower the percentage of students who are proficient in math and reading. Notably, the median poverty rate was 52% for the 10 neighborhoods with the lowest percentage of students who are proficient in reading.

Suspensions and expulsions down in D.C. charter schools (WaPo, 9/4)

HOMELESSNESS Opinion: In the wake of the disappearance of 8-year-old D.C. youth, Relisha Rudd – and the city’s follow-up report on having done all that was possible with regard to the case – a writer points out that maybe the focus should be put on how Rudd lived before her disappearance, as opposed to her disappearance itself. Especially when a number of homeless youth in the city face similar challenges and circumstances as Rudd. (WaPo, 9/4)

What happened to Relisha Rudd is, ultimately, a story about homelessness. And it’s a story about how checking boxes, writing reports and cross-checking documents does not create a community that cares.

ARTS 
– A temporary public art project, called 5×5, produced by the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities will open a new site called “Nonument Park“- a park with temporary sculptures devoted to ordinary people that will bring awareness to the common struggles of every day humanity. (OPinions, 9/4)

How to See Every 5×5 Art Project in a Single Ward-Hopping Day (WCP, 9/4)

FOOD
– A new study concludes that there is a growing food inequality gap in which the nation’s wealthier people are eating better, and those who are poorest are eating worse. The study examined the quality of adult participants’ diets from 1999 – 2010. (WaPo, 9/2)

– Lower income consumers are more likely to buy junk food on sale rather than healthy food on sale; however, during a 65-week study it was found that junk food is on sale overwhelmingly more often than fresh produce. (WSJ, 9/5)

Food-Stamp Use Starting to Fall (WSJ, 9/1)

In case you were looking for some truly amazing photos of animals today, here they are.