September 8, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Pockets of poverty still a problem in affluent Montgomery County

REGION/POVERTY
A nationwide trend in which poverty has become more suburbanized than ever before, is hitting Montgomery County especially hard. Though the county can be described as affluent, there are areas where income disparities continue to grow. (WaPo, 9/6)

Pockets of need have long existed amid great wealth in Montgomery, where the $97,000 median household income is 12th-largest in the nation. But the pockets are getting wider and deeper, part of a suburbanization of poverty that demographers say is happening nationwide.

[…]

Poverty was actually declining in Montgomery at the turn of the century — dipping to 5.1 percent — until two recessions swept away those gains. The countywide poverty rate is now 6.5 percent.

– Students in D.C. face the unique challenge of preparing for high school in the same way that most students must prepare for college – applications, essays, and an intense selection process. For this reason, a number of middle schools are increasing efforts to help students make the transition after eighth grade. (WaPo, 9/5)

– As more and more schools in the region see an increase in undocumented children from Central America, many are struggling to find the capacity to address both educational and psychological needs of the new students. (WaPo, 9/7)

HEALTH/FOOD
– Introducing The Healthy Communities Working Group (HCWG) – formerly known as the Health Working Group. Director of Safety Net Partnerships at Kaiser Permanente and HCWG Chair, Mindy Rubin, and president of the Healthcare Initiative Foundation and HCWG Vice Chair, Crystal Townsend, share the group’s exciting vision for the future and the reason for the name change in this post. (Daily, 9/8)

– Through Virginia Cooperative Extension’s Plant a Row program, vendors are able to donate fresh produce leftover from the day’s farmers market to local food pantries. Volunteers help to get thousands of pounds of produce to pantries and shelters each week to the benefit of patrons and farmers alike. (WaPo, 9/7)

AGINGD.C. Cops Say They Were Ousted Because of Their Age (WAMU, 9/5)

DISTRICT
– As early as October a number of uniformed police officers in the District  may start wearing body cameras in a pilot program to test their effectiveness. While police in Laurel have been wearing cameras for some time, the idea has gained in popularity due to national debates surrounding alleged racial profiling and the threat of violence between officers and offenders. (WaPo, 9/7)

Commentry: Report on Relisha Rudd Misses the Big Picture (WAMU, 9/8)

In case you haven’t heard, Prince George will be a big brother!