September 11, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

The importance of adult education in the District

With local funding for adult education decreasing over the last ten years, the more than 64,000 adults in the District who do not have high school graduation credentials are often met with waiting lists to get into academic programs that could improve their circumstances. The Washington Area Women’s Foundation writes about the importance of stopping the “dropout pipeline” with parents so they will have the tools necessary to stop it in their children. (WAWF, 9/10)

When dealing with the drop-out crisis, elected officials often cite stopping the pipeline of dropouts as a justification for increased funding in K-12 education. The pipeline, however, begins with the parent. Parents with strong literacy skills can better help their children do homework, study and succeed in school. According to a 2012 Urban Institute report, young adults whose parents have a high school diploma are more likely to complete high school than are those whose parents do not. They are also less likely to live in poverty.

In-seat attendance up in D.C. schools (WaPo, 9/10)

ARTS
– A new short film by a self-described gentrifier of the H Street corridor explores the complications of newcomers to the area and the importance of learning about the neighborhoods and the people where you live. (WaPo, 9/10)

– A recent study shows that for youth, musical training can improve their brain’s capacity for processing language. The team of researchers conducting the study also found that children in poverty tend to hear fewer words than other children by the age of five, making the ability to process sound more difficult. (NPR, 9/10)

REMINDER | Funders, there is still time to register for the site visit to the Evergreen Cooperatives in Cleveland, OH on Thursday, September, 25th! The Evergreen Cooperatives initiative remains the leading example of an economic development model focused on employee-ownership for low-income people. WRAG is coordinating the one-day trip for local funders to see this effort firsthand as the Greater Washington region gets closer to the launch of the Community Wealth Building Initiative (CWBI). This is a great opportunity for funders to visit the business sites, hear from the employee owners, interact directly with the staff of the Cleveland Community Foundation, and meet with city officials who have financially supported this effort.

PHILANTHROPY | A new tool uses Twitter to turn tweets and hashtags into donations for nonprofit organizations through what is known as a microphilanthropy platform. (Chronicle, 9/9)

People still love D.C. as a tourist destination, but just a little bit less than last year.