September 15, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Resentment from both sides in hiring of veterans

VETERANS/WORKFORCE
According to a number of interviews with federal employees, the federal push to hire veterans in civil service jobs is bringing out feelings of resentment from both veteran and non-veteran employees. (WaPo, 9/14)

Those who did not serve in the military bristle at times at the preferential hiring of veterans and accuse them of a blind deference to authority. The veterans chafe at what they say is a condescending view of their skills and experience and accuse many non-veterans of lacking a work ethic and sense of mission.

Related: Last year, HR expert on military transitions into civilian employment, Emily King, spoke with funders about the various challenges that veterans often face in the workplace and how philanthropy can support them. (Daily, 9/13)

– While a large number of Montgomery County middle schoolers failed Algebra 1 testing last school year, only about 1 in 7 students participated in summer reteaching lessons, leaving the school district to find ways to address the learning gap. (WaPo, 9/13)

– In an effort to further fuse together technology and instruction, some schools in the region are piloting BYOD (bring your own device) programs, where students are encouraged to use their mobile phones in the classroom. (WaPo, 9/14)

ARTS
– The Anacostia Arts Gallery and Boutique will close at the end of October, bringing attention to slow development and fears of displacement in the neighborhood. (DCist, 9/12)

– With $4 million redo, Dance Place co-directors set the barre higher (WaPo, 9/13)

NONPROFITS | United Way of the National Capital Area has named a new Chief Financial Officer, Kevin Smith, former Vice President of Finance at Pew Charitable Trusts. (UWNCA, 9/15)

REGION | In a list of the Top 100 Best Places to Live, eight Washington-Baltimore area cities made the ranks with Arlington coming in at number three. (WBJ, 9/15)

Perhaps the next email you send could help change your life for the better.