September 16, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

D.C. principals ponder how much school choice is too much school choice

With changes to boundaries and new charter schools popping up, many D.C. students may find themselves at a different school in a short period of time.  Recently a panel of D.C. principals gathered to discuss some of the unique challenges students in the city often face when there may be too many school choices. (WaPo, 9/15)

“People look at these like two separate systems, but we have so many students that are shared,” said Scott Cartland, principal at Wheatley Education Campus in Ward 5.  “Unfortunately, we have a lot of students who will be in four or five different schools in a five- or six-year period.” He said that if students are struggling in one school and then just move on to another school, their challenges go unaddressed.

– In the Washington region, around 15 percent of the adult population lack basic literacy skills. The Washington Area Women’s Foundation writes about the importance of building literacy and numeracy skills in adults – both strongly linked to economic security. (WAWF, 9/15)

Charter school enrollments increased by 13 percent nationally (WaPo, 9/16)

POVERTY/WORKFORCE | Low-Income workers and those who have not completed high school, are shown to be far more likely to get less than seven hours of sleep each night, increasing the risk for irreversible damage to the body and brain. (City Lab, 9/15)

ENVIRONMENT | On Tuesday, September 23rd, The Chesapeake Bay Funders Network (CBFN) will host a discussion about threats to community drinking water supplies with funders and other experts familiar with this summer’s incident in Toledo, Ohio. WRAG members are invited to participate in this discussion from 9 AM to 3 PM at the New Venture Fund, 1201 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 300 in Washington, DC. Please contact Megan Milliken, Interim Coordinator of CBFN at megan@chesbayfunders.org by this Thursday, September 18th to RSVP or request more information. The morning session will be devoted to the topic,”Making the Public Health Connection:  Lessons from Other Regions.” Presenters include Dr. Don Scavia, Director of the University of Michigan Graham Sustainability Institute, Scott Miller, President of Resource Media, and Molly Flanagan, Great Lakes Program Director at the Joyce Foundation.

COMMUNITY
Elevation DC, in partnership with Enterprise Community Partners, will hold a panel discussion on the ever-changing District, the affordable housing crisis, some potential solutions, and how newcomers and long-time residents are finding ways to live in harmony. The discussion, titled “Gentrification, Revitalization or Renaissance?” will take place Tuesday, October 21st at 6:00 PM at Shiloh Baptist Church, 1500 9th St NW. Register here.

– Every year, the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia (CFNV) holds its Sweet Home Virginia Gala to support its work to grow philanthropy to help meet the most critical needs of the community. On Friday, October 10th, business leaders, philanthropists, and community organizers will gather to participate in the gala, supporting the Community Foundation’s work in Northern Virginia. Richard Duvall, a partner at Holland & Knight LLP in the Government Contracts and Litigations practices, and the Holland & Knight firm, will be recognized by the CFNV for their philanthropic leadership in the Northern Virginia area with the 2014 Community Leadership Award. Find out more here.

DISTRICT | No matter which 11th Street Bridge Park design is chosen, DC wins (Elevation DC, 9/11)

Do you call yourself a Washingtonian? Apparently, you can’t if you’ve never tried one of these ten dishes. I’ve got some homework to do!