September 18, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Income and poverty levels persist in Washington region since economic recovery

POVERTY
According to 2013 American Community Survey data released by the U.S. Census Bureau, the median household income and poverty level in the D.C. area has remained stagnant since the economic recovery. (WCP, 9/18)

[…] the median household income in the D.C. area was $90,149 last year, a small but statistically insignificant decline from the 2010 median of $90,316, adjusted for inflation. Meanwhile, the percentage of residents living in poverty edged up slightly, although again by a statistically insignificant margin, from 8.4 percent to 8.5 percent. And the percentage of residents receiving food stamps, or SNAP benefits, increased from 5.9 percent to 7.9 percent.

– Nationally, for the first time since 2000, the Census Bureau reports that the poverty rate for children declined sharply last year. Additionally, the poverty rate for overall for Americans dropped for the first time last year since 2006. (NYT, 9/16)

– On Thursday, October 9th, D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute will host “Unlocking Opportunities: A Forum on Helping D.C.’s Low Income Students to Succeed. The event will feature a panel of speakers and will focus on services that schools can deliver, beyond classroom instruction, to alleviate the effects of poverty. You can RSVP here.

ARTS | Nonprofit Finance Fund has released its annual “State of the Arts & Culture Sector” nonprofit survey report. The report highlights specific ways nonprofit arts organizations are innovating by engaging new and diverse audiences to improve their fiscal health, and how funders can support their grantees in these efforts.

Related: Supporting local arts organizations’ audience development efforts is on the agenda for the next Arts & Humanities Working Group meeting. More information is available here. The meeting is open to arts funders in the region.

VETERANS/HOMELESSNESS | Homeless Vets: They’re Not Just Single Men Anymore (NPR, 9/16)

SOCIAL CHANGE | Opinion: The New York Times has a thought-provoking post on the importance of having strong, established organizations in place to deal with times of crisis. Thanks to Lori Vacek of the Freddie Mac Foundation, and member of the inaugural class of of the Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility, for sending this in. (NYT, 9/15)

This is what your brain is doing while you sleep.