September 24, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Services for women veterans lag behind

VETERANS
With a surge in the number of women veterans, services geared toward their unique needs have struggled to keep up with demand. A new report by the Disabled American Veterans, a veterans services organization, highlights the ways that men and women may differ during and after terms of service. (WSJ, 9/24)

As of March, women made up about 210,000 of the 1.79 million veterans who have served since 2001, according to the report. About 14% of active-duty service forces today are female, vs. 8% in 1980.

[…]

A third of VA medical centers lack a gynecologist on staff, the report says. About one in five women veterans report having experienced military sexual trauma, including rape, yet 31% of VA clinics lack staff to provide adequate treatment, according to the Institute of Medicine, an independent nonprofit.

Women who have lost limbs face unique challenges, like needing multiple adjustments to prostheses during pregnancy to accommodate changes in weight and balance. Female veterans more often suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder than their male counterparts, yet VA facilities “have difficulty providing gender-specific peer support, group therapy, residential rehabilitation,” the report says.

NONPROFITS | The Meyer Foundation, in partnership with Georgetown University’s Center for Social Impact Communications, has released “Stories Worth Telling: A Guide to Strategic and Sustainable Nonprofit Storytelling” – a publication to help small nonprofits navigate the challenges of communicating their narratives. (Meyer Foundation, 9/23)

EDUCATION | New International Academy in D.C. aims to help immigrant students graduate (WaPo, 9/23)

PHILANTHROPY | Exponent Philanthropy and Grantmakers for Effective Organizations share some valuable tips on using evaluation to reshape operations in philanthropy. (Exponent Philanthropy, 9/24)

EQUALITY| Here is an interactive map displaying the counties in the U.S. with the most inequality based on data from the Census Bureau’s recently released American Community Survey. (HuffPo, 9/24)

HIV/AIDS/POVERTY | Two Battles, One War: The Struggle to End HIV/AIDS and Poverty (Talk Poverty, 9/23)

COMMUNITY | On Thursday, October 9th at 4:00 PM, World Bank Group will host an online event titled, “Cities and Citizens: Gamechangers for Inclusive Development,” featuring a panel of leaders on the topic. Find out more here.

REGION | An interesting infographic shows how metropolitan areas in the U.S. compare to their closest equivalent nation. The Washington region and Argentina are pretty close. (Forbes, 9/24)

Here’s where you can check out Art All Night across D.C.