September 29, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A different view of socioeconomic segregation in the District

DISTRICT
Typically, when we look at segregation in urban cities, we view it in terms of income, with the rich dwelling in one area of the city and those in poverty dwelling in another. Researchers from the University of Toronto recently looked at 2010 U.S. Census data to develop a series of maps that paint a slightly different view of socioeconomic segregation, in which residents are more divided by the nature of the work they do, rather than by their income. (WaPo, 9/29)

Their analysis separates workers into three classes […]: the “creative class” of knowledge workers who make up about a third of the U.S. workforce (people in advertising, business, education, the arts, etc.); the “service class,” which makes up the largest and fastest growing sector of the economy (people in retail, food service, clerical jobs); and the “working class,” where blue-collar jobs in industries like manufacturing have been disappearing (this also includes construction and transportation).

[…]

And these maps show that those workers tend to cluster in the same communities. About three-quarters of the region’s “creative class” lives in a census tract where their neighbors are primarily creative-class workers, too. That means your lawyers, doctors, journalists and lobbyists live together in parts of town far from the people who pour their coffee.

This also means that their evolving preferences — to live downtown, or close to the red line, or around Rock Creek Park — shape the city for everyone else.

– Researchers from Bowie State University, George Washington University and the D.C. Office of the Chief Financial Officer recently compiled a list of neighborhoods that saw the greatest rise in residents’ incomes and median property values since 2001. The list included neighborhoods such as Barry Farms, Columbia Heights, Trinidad and Marshall Heights. In Marshall Heights, particularly, the transitions can be seen clearly by longtime residents. (WAMU, 9/26)

POVERTY | As scientists have discovered the true impact that poverty can have on an individual’s critical-thinking, memory and problem-solving skills in recent years, some anti-poverty programs are changing lives for the better with the right approach to the core circumstances that cause poverty. (SSIR, 9/25)

AGING/AFFORDABLE HOUSING | Being a low-income senior in the District is not easy. With limited funds and ridiculously long waiting lists for subsidized housing, many seniors find that they must either dedicate nearly every penny to housing costs, or move elsewhere in order to stay afloat. (WAMU, 9/26)

WORKFORCE
In current federal hiring trends, the percentage of female hires has fallen in recent years as initiatives aimed at hiring veterans have taken a front seat. (WaPo, 9/28)

From 2000 to 2012, the percentage of female hires dropped six percentage points, from 43 percent to 37 percent, according to a Merit Systems Protection Board report.

– How Helping Immigrant Workers Learn English Could Transform the U.S. Economy (CityLab, 9/26)

COMMUNITY | The deadline for nonprofits who support entrepreneurship and STEM programs for girls in middle or high school to apply for grants through the Business Women’s Giving Circle at the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia is September 30th. Find out more here.

No matter how you commute to work everyday, if you’d like to make the trip a little easier, there’s an app for that!