October 6, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Giving in America

Post-recession giving in America has undergone a lot of changes over the years. The Chronicle of Philanthropy offers a look at the changing landscape of giving with an interactive map and data from the largest metro areas. (Chronicle, 10/5)

As the recession lifted, poor and middle class Americans dug deeper into their wallets to give to charity, even though they were earning less. At the same time, according to a new Chronicle analysis of tax data, wealthy Americans earned more, but the portion of the income they gave to charity declined.

The Chronicle study found that Americans give, on average, about 3 percent of their income to charity, a figure that has not budged significantly for decades. However, that figure belies big differences in giving patterns between the rich and the poor.

Opinion: A Better Way to Encourage Charity (NYT, 10/5)

HOMELESSNESS | Over the weekend, more than 60 families were moved from a hotel to the D.C. General Homeless shelter amid a number of concerns over a lapse in communication and coordination ahead of the relocations. (DCist, 10/3)

POVERTY | Opinion: Regular, on-time payments for necessities like cell phone bills, rent and utilities are not often reported to credit bureaus until there is a delinquency or late payment. As such, the “credit invisibles” – those who have no credit standing – are shown to be unreliable in the eyes of lenders.  While their economic behavior flies under the radar for credit rating agencies, businesses and nonprofits are taking a stand to help people gain a financial footing. (NYT, 10/2)

Related: Many strategies help families build resilience and financial independence. Financial literacy, affordable banking and credit, stable housing and home ownership, tax preparation assistance, and benefit selection and utilization are all part of the asset building toolbox. While 2015 Affordable Care Act enrollment and tax season are almost here, there are opportunities all year round to help low-income families create and sustain wealth. Members can join us on Monday, October 20th at 12:30 PM at WRAG as we host a brown bag discussion on asset building and to share your own work and learn what others are doing.

COMMUNITYCapital One has announced their new dFUND, a $500,000 grant program that will invest in innovative programs that help individuals, families and organizations succeed in a digital economy.  The dFUND is a catalyst to propel non-profits working in Capital One markets to further the ideation and development of this change for individuals and organizations in their communities. The application is available here.

HEALTH/YOUTH
– Though it is reported that as many as 10 percent of American children suffer from an impairing mental illness, there aren’t nearly enough school-based mental health services available to students. Some schools have begun offering  a new service, known as tele-mental health, that could greatly improve access to much needed psychiatric services. (CityLab, 10/2)

The Washington Post shares the stories of women on what it’s like to be a teen mother. (WaPo, 10/3)

Sometimes you need to just stop and look at the fall foliage.