October 14, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A plan for D.C. General

HOMELESSNESS 
Amid a great deal of controversy and a number of complaints about the building, the city is taking the first steps toward closing D.C. General Homeless shelter by housing families in smaller facilities across D.C. The new plan for shelter is expected to be less isolating to families, as they would be spread around the city instead of being placed in one large shelter. (WAMU, 10/14)

As part of the plan, the city is seeking to lease buildings across D.C. that would be used to house as few as 15 and as many as 50 families in apartments, single-occupancy rooms and efficiencies. The buildings would be used as emergency shelters during the winter months.

– Among other things, one major area the next D.C. mayor will need to act on is homelessness. And fast. Check out how the candidates plan to approach the 16 percent increase in homeless families expected this winter.  (WaPo, 10/13)

– For some Virginia students, school may not, in fact, be out for summer as Governor Terry McAuliffe will award more than $1.6 million in grants to support year-round instructional programs at 29 Virginia schools in 13 school districts. The effort is to combat the “summer slide” that can often set students back academically when there is no reinforcement during the time away from school. (WAMU, 10/13)

– A school in D.C. is rethinking the way most schools view time, with a greater emphasis on giving ninth graders the tools they need to make it through to graduation right from the start. (HuffPo, 10/10) Thank you to Mieka Wick at the CityBridge Foundation for sharing.

Opinion: When a child becomes sick, many parents are faced with the tough decision of whether or not they will have to send them off to school or keep them at home. Being sick or caring for a sick child, after all, could lead to a loss in wages – or worse yet – a job. Should we change the way we enforce sick leave policies at school and work? (WaPo, 10/14)

‘Men Make a Difference’ in Prince George’s County Schools (WaPo, 10/13)

COMMUNITY WEALTH BUILDING | What exactly does it take to launch a new initiative? WRAG president, Tamara Copeland, gives us some insight by discussing the Evergreen Cooperatives in Cleveland and how local funders are getting involved. (Daily, 10/14)

NONPROFITS | Nonprofit lending circles that help low-income individuals and immigrants with no credit history gain access to the things they may not otherwise have access to are gaining momentum. (NYT, 10/10)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | A Bureau of Labor Statistics report already pointed out that the D.C. metropolitan area is the most expensive place to live in the country, but here are some visuals that help drive the point home, (WaPo, 10/13)

HEALTH | How family planning programs save taxpayers billions of dollars each year (WaPo, 10/14)

TRANSIT | How the Silver Line may already be remaking Tyson’s (ElevationDC, 10/14)

A recipe for cuteness? Treating a group of second graders to a fancy seven-course meal. Thanks to Kristina Kloberdanz at IBM for sharing