October 21, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

School-based health centers emerging in D.C. schools

HEALTH
A growing number of schools around the country are offering school-based health centers that provide a broad range of medical services to their student body. By offering healthcare services that may have once caused a student to miss school, and being a trusted source for students’ most confidential concerns, school-based health centers are also working to keep students in school. (Elevation DC, 10/20)

These centers, in several D.C. public high schools, provide a full range of health services from treatments for the common cold, headaches and asthma, administer vision and hearing screenings, and help students stay up to date on immunizations and physicals. Some centers even have full dental laboratories.

[…]

In addition to keeping students’ health intact, the most fundamental aspect of the centers is their ability to keep students’ heads in the books.

COMMUNITY | Social Innovation Fund leader, Michael Smith, has been named as director of the “My Brother’s Keeper Initiative.” (Chronicle, 10/21)

A big part of his job, Mr. Smith says, will be to “expand the tent” and attract more foundations and corporations to support education and job-training programs and efforts to keep young minority males from being incarcerated.

YOUTH
– Yesterday,officials in D.C. opened a new facility called the Youth Reengagement Center, specifically geared toward reconnecting individuals who have dropped out of school with centralized services to keep them from falling into poverty. (WaPo, 10/20)

Unlocking Opportunities: Using Schools as Community Hubs for Students and Families (DCFPI, 10/21)

PHILANTHROPY | The Center for Effective Philanthropy recently released their report, “Hearing from Those We Seek to Help: Nonprofit Practices and Perspectives in Beneficiary Feedback.” One interesting trend that emerged in the data is that many nonprofit leaders believed that most funders did not have a deep understanding of their intended beneficiaries’ needs which is often reflected in their funding priorities and programmatic strategies. (CEP, 10/2014)

ARTS | Smithsonian Aims to Raise $1.5B to improve museums (NBC Washington, 10/21)

NONPROFITS | C. Fox Communications, a strategic communications company, is accepting applications for the fifth installment of theiinspired thought (or it, for short) Award–worth up to $50,000 in pro bono communications services for eligible nonprofits. Nonprofit organizations can apply for themselves, or nominate a worthy organization. Find out more here.   

Marketers use a lot of tools to get you to buy things, including using zip codes to discover demographic trends and figure out who you are as a person. See what your zip code says about you.

One Comment

1. Theda / Jan 29 2015 6:58 am

Hi there, its nice piece of writing on the topic of media print, we all be familiar with media is a impressive
    source of facts.