November 3, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Congratulations to the inaugural class of the Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility!

CSR
Congratulations to the inaugural class of the Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility! Take a walk with us down memory lane as we highlight some of the best moments from the past year.

HOMELESSNESS
As hypothermia season begins tomorrow in the District amid an estimated 16 percent rise in homeless families in need of shelter, city officials try to decide on a plan to identify overflow beds. (DCist, 10/31)

In the plan, 213 overflow beds for men and 53 for women are listed as “to be determined,” while there are just 409 units at D.C. General (many already occupied) and no money in the budget for hotel rooms. There are fewer units at the family shelter this winter because of a ruling that states families must be placed in private rooms, while Mayor Gray’s administration insisted funding not be provided for hotel rooms.

A Council roundtable on the plan held Wednesday was recessed as city officials said they were not able to share details about procuring additional beds as the process was ongoing.

HEALTH/YOUTH | With as many as 5,000 D.C. children not receiving much needed mental health services, the D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute offers recommendations for how schools can further address the mental health challenges of students, particularly those from low-income areas who often face a great deal of stress and trauma. (DCFPI, 11/3)

Related: On Thursday, December 11th at 12 PM, WRAG members interested in mental health or substance use disorders are invited to a special brown bag lunch discussion hosted by our Healthy Communities Working Group. The brown bag will be a great opportunity to network with colleagues interested in issues related to behavioral health and to share your own work in this area. You can register here. A location will be announced at a later date.

– As many as 400 students may be barred from attending school in Prince George’s County this week, after being out of compliance with school policies requiring vaccinations. (WaPo, 11/2)

EDUCATION | For D.C. Schools, Race and Class Still Define the System (WAMU, 10/31)

AGING | Though America’s population is living longer, many are living with debilitating conditions or injuries that increase the likelihood of  a fall that can prove to be fatal. Care facilities are challenged with providing safety for residents while helping them maintain a sense of independence. (NYT,11/2)

FOOD | App Helps Low Income Moms Stay Connected to Nutrition (NextCity, 10/30)

PHILANTHROPY | What are the issues that weigh most heavily on the minds of America’s wealthy individuals? PNC‘s Wealth and Values Survey found what at least two-thirds of the 476 millionaire survey-takers are concerned at least a little about income inequality. (WBJ, 10/31)

Nearly half (49 percent) said they favor raising the minimum wage, while just 44 percent support raising taxes on high-income earners such as themselves. Far more of the wealthy are interested in supporting charities that focus on poverty and hunger (69 percent), or providing educational opportunities to children of low-income families (64 percent).

You’re a nonprofit right on the verge of unveiling your latest and greatest viral marketing campaign when suddenly, everyone starts pouring ice buckets on their heads in the name of raising money for ALS research. What do you do? See how other social media campaigns have fared and the creative ways organizations are trying to raise awareness around issues

Ciara