November 10, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

D.C. among best cities for veterans

VETERANS
A new rankings report names D.C. as the 14th best city for veterans. The rankings measured 19 factors against 100 of the most populated U.S. cities. (DCist, 11/10)

With D.C. ranking as number 14 of 100, Wallet Hub found that it’s within the top ten of cities for the percent of military skill-related jobs (ninth), rate of job growth for veterans (eighth), “emotional health” (seventh), and the rate of veteran wage growth (first). Where we fall behind is in the veteran unemployment rate (28th) and the number of veteran-owned businesses per veteran population (50th).

Recently, Bethesda ranked high as a top city for veterans transitioning into private-sector or public agency jobs. (WBJ, 10/29)

– In the latest installment of What Funders Need to Know, we explore some of the unique characteristics and circumstances of post-9/11 veterans and why philanthropy should support the nonprofit organizations in our region that are serving them well. (Daily, 11/10)

FOOD | Opinion: A team of writers explore what a national food policy could mean for Americans and public health. (WaPo, 11/7)

– According to a new report, Hispanic public school students in a number of major cities, including D.C., are shown to have made significant progress on federal math tests over the last decade. (WaPo, 11/10)

Students encouraged to apply to college, while in class (WaPo, 11/9)

REGION | Amid recent and upcoming department head departures, Montgomery County Executive Isaiah Leggett is tasked with hiring three new directors who will oversee environmental protection, housing and community development, and transportation by early next year. The newly hired officials will replace leaders who had been with Leggett since his first term in 2007. (WaPo, 11/9)

PHILANTHROPY | The Foundation Center’s 2014 edition of Key Facts on U.S. Foundations is available with data on the country’s foundation community and the giving priorities of the largest foundations. You can check out the report here.

NONPROFITS | The Center for Nonprofit Advancement, in partnership with The Washington Post, has announced the call for applications for The Washington Post Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management. Applications will be accepted through Friday, January 9th, 2015. The winning organization will receive a $20,000 grant. Find out more here.

Whether you’re working in the office or enjoying the big concert at the National Mall tomorrow, here’s what you need to know about getting around