November 12, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Fairfax County looks for solutions in supporting unaccompanied minors

YOUTH/REGION
– With the greatest number of unaccompanied minors in the region, Fairfax County has called on the federal government for additional funding to support the influx of new students. Prince George’s County and Montgomery County have also become home to a record number of unaccompanied minors. (WAMU, 11/12)

The Office of Refugee Resettlement says Fairfax County has the largest number of unaccompanied minors than any other jurisdiction in the Washington Metropolitan region, although Prince George’s County and Montgomery County aren’t far behind. The spike in student enrollment is putting school leaders in a bind. Springfield School Board member Elizabeth Schultz estimates the students will require at least $17 million worth of services for students who speak English as a second language. And that’s just the starting point.

“To have the federal government place 1,131 students here and provide no additional funds to support it and expect the Fairfax County taxpayers to just pick up the bill, I think, is just egregious,” says Schultz.

Related: Tomorrow, November 13th from 9AM – 11AM at the Meyer Foundation (co-sponsor), WRAG members are invited to join us for a breakfast conversation with WAMU’s Armando Trull, whose recent reports from El Salvador highlighted the violent conditions that have triggered this immigration crisis, and hear from staff of La Clinica, Ayuda, and other service providers about its impact on our region. Find out more here.

HOMELESSNESS | The country will soon have no homeless veterans, so why are there still homeless families? (WaPo, 11/11)

ENVIRONMENT | The latest State of the Nation’s River report from the Potomac Conservancy sites an aging sewer infrastructure, loss of healthy forests, urban sprawl and a particular golf course as current threats to the health of the river. One area the report highlights is Frederick County, where a huge surge in population over the next few decades is expected to have a significant impact on the Potomac. (DCist, 11/11 and WAMU, 11/11)

PHILANTHROPY | Exponent Philanthropy focuses in on three major debates concerning the role of philanthropy today. (Philanthrofiles, 11/7)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING/DISTRICT | Could the development project at North Capitol Street catering to homeless veterans and those who make less than the median income level become the new face of mixed-income housing? (WBJ, 11/11)

EDUCATION |  Opinion: Stop blaming poor parents for their children’s limited vocabulary (WaPo, 11/10)

BWI, Dulles, Reagan…which airport do you prefer?