November 18, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Community foundations across the country highlighted in new report

COMMUNITY/CWBI
The Democracy Collaborative has released a new report called, “A New Anchor Mission for a New Century,” that features 30 community foundations from around the country that are leveraging their role as anchor institutions to increase their impact in their communities. The report highlights WRAG’s and the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region’s role in launching the Community Wealth Building Initiative in our region. (Democracy Collaborative, 11/17)

In 2011, the Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers began to explore an emerging enterprise development project, the Metropolitan Washington Community Wealth Building Initiative, and hired The Democracy Collaborative to conduct a feasibility study. After that study was completed, the association appointed The Community Foundation for National Capital Region as the leading funder to oversee implementation of a network of green, employee-owned businesses creating wealth-building jobs in low-income communities and connected to anchor demand, for which it retained CDFI City First Enterprises and business consultancy Next Street. The first business planned is an employee-owned clean water management company, for which New Markets Tax Credits and other funding is currently being sought.

VETERANS | As part of their pro bono program, Deloitte collaborated with the University of Southern California’s Center for Innovation and Research on Veterans & Military Families on a piece of research exploring veterans needs. On Thursday, December 4th, Dave Porges, National Director of Corporate Citizenship, will lead a session where you can learn more about the study. RSVP here.

FOOD | The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reports that 20 percent of what ends up in municipal landfills is food. Many families and organizations are taking on new ways to reduce food waste as their personal responsibility. (NPR, 11/17)

HIV/AIDS | According to a new D.C. Department of Health Report, “D.C. Takes on HIV,” half of adult D.C. residents say that through city prevention campaigns, they’ve learned more about HIV. (WCP, 11/17)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | In their “2014 Home Affordability Study,” personal finance website, Interest.com, gave out grades to the country’s largest cities based on the ability of middle-income families to afford a median-priced home. The D.C. region was given a “C”. (DCist, 11/17)

ARTS | Art exhibit shows ‘What Hope Looks Like’ (WTOP, 11/18)

EDUCATION | As Chancellor Kaya Henderson prepares the District’s school budget for next year, she declares 2015 “the year of the high school,” after years of focusing on improving outcomes for lower grades. In addition to greater emphasis on high schools, Henderson also announced other areas of focus, including (WaPo, 11/17):

[…] giving more students citywide access to rigorous learning experiences, improving opportunities for young men of color, and increasing the number of schools that offer a longer school day.

Simply put, it’s cold! Throughout the region, however, there are a few ways to help those who may not have a warm place to go. Here are a few suggestions