December 3, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A boost for at-risk D.C. students

EDUCATION/DISTRICT
Additional funds received by D.C. schools serving at-risk students are proving to boost programming offered. The largest investments went to middle schools, where funds were put toward additional technology, more counselors, and extended school days. (WaPo, 12/2)

The D.C. Council approved $80 million to serve the needs of 36,000 students who are in foster care or are homeless, who are receiving welfare benefits or food stamps, or who are performing at least a year behind in high school. That’s about 40 percent of all of the city’s public school students.

“We know poverty affects the way children can succeed in school,” said Soumya Bhat, education finance and policy analyst for the D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute. “Children are more likely to come to school hungry or to be exposed to trauma or have health problems.”

EQUALITY | Ed Davies, executive director at DC Trust, speaks on the significance of building a healthy dialogue surrounding the experiences of young men of color, and the barbershop as an important cultural hub for such conversations. He also speaks on what inspired the launch of ShopTalk, a transmedia storytelling series on the challenges black boys and young men face growing up in D.C. (Washington Informer, 12/2)

ENVIRONMENT | Last month, WRAG co-sponsored with the Summit Fund, Roger & Vicki Sant, the Chesapeake Bay Funders Network, The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region, and the Federal City Council, an event to acknowledge progress and encourage participation in the continued revitalization of the Anacostia River and its watershed. You can view a special film from the event, The Anacostia River: Making Connections, by Stone Soup Films.

COMMUNITY | Rebecca Scherpelz, a UMD graduate student working at the Washington Area Women’s Foundation through WRAG’s Philanthropy Fellows program, reflects on her experience so far in her first job in philanthropy, in a special piece for the Daily. (Daily, 12/3)

CSR | Congratulations to the Advisory Board Company on winning the Serve DC Community Service Award for Corporate Engagement!

HEALTH | A Day in the Life of D.C.’s Needle Exchangers (WAMU, 11/21)

FOOD
– Yesterday, the New York Times profiled one New York City family’s successful participation in the Fruit and Vegetable Prescription (FVRx) Program, an initiative in which clinicians prescribe dietary changes to reduce nutrition-related diseases like obesity and high blood pressure. Like New York and other cities, the District’s FVRx program works with clinics and their low-income clients to provide participants with financial incentives to increase their purchase of fresh produce at the city’s farmers markets. (NYT, 12/1)

Opinion: In this op-ed, an author/rural farmer contemplates the connections between the de-localization of the food system, rural white Americans, and the events in Ferguson. (HuffPo, 12/1)

Farewell, Clip Art!