December 11, 2014 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Navigating rent control laws in the District

AFFORDABLE HOUSING
Washington City Paper examines how a number of landlords in the District have been able to find their way around rent control laws and the effects it can have on residents. (WCP, 12/11)

[…] in the District, where affordable housing is vanishing in each successive neighborhood deemed up-and-coming, rent control is one of the few reliable ways to protect residents from prohibitive housing costs. Housing is generally considered affordable if it costs no more than 30 percent of a household’s income. According to a study this year from the Urban Institute, more than half of D.C.’s renter households put more than 30 percent of their income toward rent, and 28 percent pay more than half their income. Meanwhile, the 2007 inclusionary zoning law, which requires residential developers to include low- and moderate-income units in new buildings, produced just 30 such units through 2013. Rent control is the city’s strongest tool for preserving affordable housing without spending a cent. And for many renters who rely on it, it’s under assault.

COMMUNITY | Congratulations! Yesterday, the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG) presented its 2014 Regional Partnership Award to the Summit Fund of Washington. The award is given annually to an individual or organization that has done the most to support and advance COG’s work program. Recent winners of the honor include the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region and WRAG.

PHILANTHROPY | The annual industry forecast, Philanthropy and the Social Economy: Blueprint 2015, is now available.The guide offers an overview of philanthropy’s current landscape, points to major trends, and directs your attention to horizons where you can expect some important breakthroughs in the coming year. Get it here. (GrantCraft, 12/9)

YOUTH/DISTRICT | A new report, “Improving Youth Programs and Outcomes in Washington, DC,” argues that the poor educational and employment outcomes among many D.C. youth programs demand a serious and sustained response by the city, funders, educators, nonprofits and employers. You can check out the full report along with recommendations for improvement by Brookings Fellow Martha Ross and education and workforce strategist Mala Thakur here. (Brookings, 12/10)

ARTS | Last month, the Local Music Task Force, a newly established coalition of diverse individuals in the creative community, gathered during a Future of Music Policy Summit and outlined six key areas where public sector engagement with the music communities can help push increased economic growth in the District. (DCist, 12/10)

– After a recent report drew attention to the disproportionate ethnic and racial ratio of teachers to students in Montgomery County schools, officials have announced a new initiative aimed at increasing teacher diversity. (WaPo, 12/10)

Education advocates help draft new D.C. mayor’s to-do list (WaPo, 12/10)

HEALTH | Maryland rushes to reenroll residents in subsidized health insurance plans (WaPo, 12/10)

Informal poll – How many people own, or have owned, this coffee table? I’ll admit it…I do!