January 5, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

The push for a swimmable Anacostia River

Happy New Year! We’re back to our regular posting schedule.

ENVIRONMENT
A coalition of government officials, nonprofit organizations, and corporations are working together to fight through challenges – including exorbitant pollution levels that prove difficult to measure, hundreds of millions of dollars in cleanup costs, and potential court battles to determine who will pay and how much – in order to bring the vision of a swimmable Anacostia River to fruition in the foreseeable future. (WaPo, 1/4)

Studies have shown that up to a quarter of the river’s brown bullheads, a type of catfish that feeds on the toxin-clogged sediment at the bottom of the Anacostia, have skin tumors, and as many as half have liver tumors.

[…]

Studying alternative cleanup options will take most of 2016 and 2017, the Environment Department said. By 2018, a final plan would be chosen.

Of course, officials also must figure out who will pay for the cleanup.

– In what would have been a nice boost to Ward 8 and “the most productive urban farm in the world,” a potential D.C. farm site has been found to be an unlicensed landfill instead. Despite an initial investment by the city, the project may not see the light of day. If it does, in fact, move forward the project would cost millions more in order to build infrastructure to get past the extreme levels of contamination there. (Yahoo, 12/23)

Loudoun course addresses the growing concerns about eco-friendly gardening (WaPo, 1/5)

CSR | It’s the start of a new year and many in the field of corporate social responsibility are seeking valuable professional development opportunities. WRAG’s Director of Corporate Strategy, Katy Moore, shares her special recommendation for just that. (Volunteer Match, 12/18)

LGBTQ| Funders for LGBTQ Issues has released their 2013 Tracking Report: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Grantmaking by U.S. Foundations. You can access the full report and a handy accompanying infographic featuring the scope of foundation funding for LGBTQ issues in 2013. (Funders for LGBTQ Issues, 12/2014)

COMMUNITY Booz Allen Hamilton will hold their Nonprofit Speaker Series beginning Tuesday, January 13th at 7:30 AM. The session will focus on upcoming economic trends for 2015 and how they may impact a nonprofit organization’s programs, services, and fundraising practices. Featured speakers include, Dr. Stephen Fuller, Dwight Schar Faculty Chair and Professor at George Mason University, and Barbara Garlock, Director of Project FIRM. Individuals can participate in-person or online. Find out more here.

PHILANTHROPY | Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy and the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy will hold a webinar titled, “Supersized Imbalance: Post-2014 Election, What Foundations Should Know,” on Friday, January 9th at 3:00 PM. Participants can register here and use the code”SOCIALCHANGE”  for free access.

EDUCATION | Kindergarten Entry Tests And More Education Predictions for 2015 (NPR, 1/3)

With all the recent gift-giving going on, some wonder…should thank-you letters become a thing of the past?